What is the 1D Fourier transform of the function e^{-\lambda x^{2}}?

• Thread starter Aquinox
  • Start date
In summary, the FT of the function f is given by:\hat{f}(\vec{k})=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\det A}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}<\vec{k},A^{-1}\vec{k}>}
Aquinox

Homework Statement

Let A be a real, symmetric positively definite nxn - matrix.
[tex]f:\mathbb{R}^{n}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}\; s.t\;\vec{x}\rightarrow e^{-\frac{1}{2}<\vec{x},A\vec{x}>}[/tex]
Show that the FT of f is given by:
[tex]\hat{f}(\vec{k})=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\det A}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}<\vec{k},A^{-1}\vec{k}>}[/tex]

Homework Equations

If I'm not very much mistaken:
[tex]\hat{f}(\vec{k})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^{n}}f(\vec{x})e^{-2\pi i<\vec{k},\vec{x}>}d^{n}x[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Quite honestly I have no idea anymore. I suppose I'm missing sth. quite trivial.
I've tried to change <x,Ax> to [tex]x^tAx[/tex] and doing the same with <k,x> and then multiplying from right by A^-1*x and some more but kept running in circles.
I'm terrible with this matrix-stuff and on the solution of this task depends the solution of another one

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't a diagonalisable which would reduce the problem somewhat?

Mat

Yep.
I've got that hint by a friend yesterday night which led me to:
[tex]\int e^{-\frac{1}{2}<x,T^{-1}TAT^{-1}Tx>-i<k,T^{-1}Tx>}\Rightarrow\int e^{-\frac{1}{2}<Tx,(TAT^{-1}=D)Tx>-i<Tk,Tx>}\Rightarrow\int e^{-\frac{1}{2}<y,Dy>-i<k',y>}d^{n}y[/tex]

by using that TAT^-1 = D , with D-diagonal. defining y:=Tx, k':=Tk
using dy/dx=|T|=1

then using the representation of Exp as a series
[tex]\int e^{-\frac{1}{2}\sum_{l=0}^{n}d_{ll}y_{l}^{2}}e^{-i<k',y>}d^{n}y\Rightarrow\int e^{-\frac{1}{2}\sum_{l=0}^{n}d_{ll}y_{l}^{2}}\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{l!}(-i<k',y>)^{l}d^{n}y[/tex]

And here I'm stuck again not knowing anymore how it would be possible to simplify this.

You're almost there, the n-dim integral can be then split up into a product of n 1-dim integrals, as
[tex]
<y,Dy>=\sum_{i=1}^{n}\lambda_{i}y_{i}^{2}\quad <k',y>=\sum_{i=1}^{n}k_{i}'y_{i}
[/tex]
Where the [tex]\lambda_{i}[/tex] are the eigenvalues and the integral splits as:
[tex]
\int e^{-\frac{1}{2}<y,Dy>-i<k',y>}d^{n}y=\prod_{i=1}^{n}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{1}{2}\lambda_{i}y_{i}^{2}-ik_{i}'y_{i}}dy_{i}
[/tex]

Last edited:
You are making this WAY too complicated. Like Mat said, you can work in a basis where A is diagonal. That means f(x) is just a sum of squares of each coordinate times the corresponding diagonal entry. Now you can integrate one coordinates at a time. The only part of the problem that takes a little work is the one-dimensional case where f(x)=exp((-a/2)*x^2). You just have to complete the square in the exponent of the Fourier transform.

Last edited:
Why though? The way known to me to diagonalize a symmetric matrix is TAT^-1 = D
with orthogonal matrix T.
Following is the way I think I've solved it.
Taking off from hunt's equation:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}^{n}}\prod_{s=1}^{n}\int_{\mathbb{R}^{1}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}d_{ss}y_{s}^{2}}e^{-ik'_{s}y_{s}}dy=\prod\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-i)^{l}}{l!}k'_{s}^{l}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int e^{-\frac{1}{2}d_{ss}y_{s}^{2}}y_{s}^{l}dy[/tex]

where I used Mathematica to cheat and check whether the d_ss will come up in the end in the way I guessed and the notes from the lectures giving this (2m) stuff (more human-readable than mathematica's output with Erf and Gamma).

[tex]=\prod\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-i)^{2m}}{2m!}k'_{s}^{2m}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int e^{-\frac{1}{2}d_{ss}y_{s}^{2}}y_{s}^{2m}dy=\prod\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-i)^{2m}}{(2m)!}k'_{s}^{2m}\left(\frac{(2m)!}{d_{ss}^{m}2^{m}\sqrt{d_{ss}}m!}\right)=&\prod_{s=1}^{n}\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{-k_{s}^{2}}{2d_{ss}}\right)^{m}\frac{1}{\sqrt{d_{ss}}m!}=\prod\frac{1}{\sqrt{d_{ss}}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}d_{ss}^{-1}k_{s}'^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]=&\frac{1}{\sqrt{\prod d_{ss}}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}\sum_{s=0}^{n}k'_{s}d_{ss}^{-1}k'_{s}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\det D}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}<k',D^{-1}k'>}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\det A}}e^{-\nicefrac{1}{2}<Tk,(TAT^{-1})^{-1}Tk>}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\det A}}e^{-\nicefrac{1}{2}<k,A^{-1}k>}[/tex]

Again this is slightly more complicated than it needs to be. What is the 1D Fourier transform of the function:

[tex]
f(x)=e^{-\lambda x^{2}}
[/tex]

This is a well known transform which can be found on wikipedia, use this and you're very close to getting the answer.

What is the N-dim Fourier transformation?

The N-dim Fourier transformation is a mathematical operation that converts a function in the spatial domain to a function in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in signal processing and image processing to analyze and manipulate signals or images.

How is the N-dim Fourier transformation calculated?

The N-dim Fourier transformation is calculated by integrating the function over all dimensions, using a complex exponential as the integration kernel. The resulting function in the frequency domain represents the amplitude and phase of each frequency component present in the original function.

What is the difference between the N-dim and 1-dim Fourier transformation?

The N-dim Fourier transformation is a generalization of the 1-dim Fourier transformation, which is used for functions in one-dimensional space. The N-dim transformation can be applied to functions in any number of dimensions, making it more versatile for analyzing higher-dimensional data.

What are the applications of the N-dim Fourier transformation?

The N-dim Fourier transformation has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis to analyze and manipulate signals or images. It is also used in solving differential equations and in quantum mechanics.

What are the limitations of the N-dim Fourier transformation?

One limitation of the N-dim Fourier transformation is that it assumes the function being transformed is periodic. This may not always be the case in real-world data, leading to inaccuracies in the transformed function. Additionally, the transformation is not always reversible, meaning that the original function cannot always be accurately reconstructed from its frequency domain representation.