Calculating Flight Direction & Velocity: Bush Pilot Flying 250.0 km [N30.0°E]

• Thread starter malcomfred
  • Start date
In summary, a bush pilot wants to fly her plane to a lake that is 250.0 km [N30.0°E] from her starting point. With an air speed of 210.0 km/h and a wind blowing from the west at 40.0 km/h, the pilot must determine the heading to fly in directly to the lake. After attempting to calculate the heading using Vpa and Vag, the pilot is unsure if the calculated heading of 20 degrees would work for the given distance. Furthermore, the velocity relative to the ground cannot be determined without a diagram.
malcomfred
A bush pilot wants to fly her plane to a lake that is 250.0 km [N30.0°E] from her starting point. The plane has an air speed of 210.0 km/h and a wind is blowing from the west at 40.0 km/h.

a) In what direction should she head the plane to fly in directly to the lake?
After determining Vpa, Vag I tried heading = sin^-1 (40/210) = 20, but i think that would only work if it was just 250.0 km instead on 250.0 km [N30.0°E].

b) If she uses the heading determined in (a), what will be her velocity relative to the ground?
no idea since i can't get a.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you draw a diagram?

There is my diagram but I'm not sure if it is right.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 478

What is the formula for calculating flight direction and velocity?

The formula for calculating flight direction and velocity is: V = d/t, where V is the velocity in km/h, d is the distance in km, and t is the time in hours.

What is the significance of N30.0°E in the flight direction?

N30.0°E refers to the direction of the flight in relation to the North and East coordinates. In this case, it means the flight is heading 30 degrees East of North.

How do you convert the flight direction to a compass direction?

To convert the flight direction to a compass direction, you can use a simple formula: Compass Direction = (Flight Direction + 180) % 360. In this case, the compass direction would be N210.0°E.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated flight direction and velocity?

The accuracy of the calculated flight direction and velocity can be affected by several factors, including wind speed and direction, altitude, air density, and the performance of the aircraft.

How can the calculated flight direction and velocity be used by a bush pilot?

The bush pilot can use the calculated flight direction and velocity to plan their route, estimate arrival time, and adjust their flight plan based on weather conditions and other factors. It can also help the pilot maintain a steady and efficient speed during the flight.