1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of a geometrical shape

  1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    What is the geometrical shape called, when combining 3 ellipses together, such that each two share one focal point and together form a kind of 60 degree triangular shape?

    It will look similar to Reuleaux triangle, but it is not formed out of a triangle, but 3 ellipses, as if you are gluing one ellipse to each side of a triangle.

  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2
    Found it!

    I think it is called a superellipse. I found a formula and an octave program on Wikipedia. The one I was looking for is the one with parameters "3 6 6 6", the table on the right side. The plot in octave also works by using the following command:
    Code (Text):

    sf2d([3 6 6 6],[1 1])
    anyway, thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Name of a geometrical shape
  1. What shape is this? (Replies: 5)

  2. Equation = Shape (Replies: 3)

  3. Inverted shape? (Replies: 4)

  4. Parameterizing a shape (Replies: 1)

  5. Rotating Shapes (Replies: 3)