Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of Apparatus to use?

  1. Oct 5, 2007 #1
    In a lab experiment we put some MgSO4 7H2O into a crucible, and brought it to a high temperature using a Bunsen burner. After 10 minutes of heating we massed out the crucible and contents to determine the % of H2O.
    Okay, I had no problem with this, and my question is this. I wish to take this experiment a step further and actually capture the H2O gas into another container so I can mass out the H2O.

    I can picture a setup being similar to stated above except I would need a sealed crucible with a gas port, and another sealed container to receive the gas. My problem is that I do not know what apparatus I would use that would have the same heat resistant properties of a crucible, have a sealed lid, and also have a gas port. Does anyone know what such a apparatus would be called?

  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    High temperature (96% silica) glassware and a Liebig's condenser, ought to do the trick. You actually only need to go a little above 200C to dehydrate MgSO4.xH2O of all its hydrates, but if you want to be sure, take it up to say, 300C. Borosilicate glass is rated for only about 220-240C, but silica glass is rated for up to nearly 1000C.
  4. Oct 5, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the reply. So do you think a setup like shown below would work?

  5. Oct 6, 2007 #4
    what about a simple glass reort.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Threads for Name Apparatus
Formal name for molecular aggregations?