Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Naming of the leptons

1. Jun 20, 2015 #1
    Hi, I am currently an undergraduate student and I am writing my undergraduate research paper right now.

The thesis is about searching for heavy Majorana type neutrinos.

While writing the paper, I really need some 'right word' but I can't find it so let me explain it here, and it would be very grateful if someone tells me what the right word is.

Let's say there is a channel whose final objects have 3 leptons (and other stuffs too).

We usually call the lepton with the biggest transverse-momentum 'leading lepton'.
    And the second biggest 'sub-leading lepton'.

However, I can't find the word for the smallest transverse-momentum.
    Can anyone tell me a proper term for the lepton with smallest transverse-momentum?

Maybe... following lepton? or... sub-sub-leading lepton (since it has the smallest but also the third biggest momentum)?
    Doesn't the right term exist??

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The usual name is "third [particly type]". Here: third lepton.
    There can always be more leptons at lower energy from hadron decays and so on, something with the smallest pT is not well-defined.

4. Jun 24, 2015 #3

Hepth

Gold Member

Just from a semantics point of view the opposite of leading is either trailing or lagging. But neither of these make sense in this context.

5. Jun 25, 2015 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

it would have been something like next to the subleading (my naming).

6. Jun 25, 2015 #5

Hepth

Gold Member

Sometimes we say leading, sub-leading, and sub-sub leading, though its nicer to use the Leading Order (LO) Next-to-Leading Order (NLO), Next-to-Next-to Leading Order (NNLO), etc.

7. Jun 25, 2015 #6

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Since it's a matter of word choice, you can ask your supervisor whether he knows of any such term... otherwise you can just use somekind of naming like "sub-sub-leading" (as Hepth mentioned above) like inventing one and explain in your text what you mean by it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook