Understanding the Yukawa Term in Srednicki's Lepton Sector

In summary, the conversation discusses the left-handed Weyl fields and their representation in (SU(2), U(1)). The Yukawa term is also mentioned, with a question about the minus sign and a possible explanation involving the Hermitian adjoint. The significance of the Yukawa coupling constant in relation to the Higgs field is also discussed. There is a question about whether the thoughts presented are correct or not.
parton
Hi all,

I am just reading Srednicki, chapter 88: The Standard Model: Lepton Sector
and I'm not sure if I really understand it.

There are left-handed Weyl fields
[tex] l, \overline{e}, \varphi [/tex]

in the (SU(2), U(1)) representations
[tex] (2, -1/2), (1,1), (2, -1/2) [/tex]

Now there is also a Yukawa term of the form
[tex] \mathcal{L}_{\text{Yuk}} = - y \varepsilon^{ij} \varphi_{i} l_{j} \overline{e} + \text{h.c.} [/tex]

but I don't understand where this minus sign comes from.

I have the following guess: I could also write this term in the form:
[tex] \mathcal{L}_{\text{Yuk}} = y \varphi^{j} l_{j} \overline{e} + \text{h.c.} [/tex]

Using [tex] \varphi^{j} l_{j} = \varepsilon^{ji} \varphi_{i} l_{j} = - \varepsilon^{ij} \varphi_{i} l_{j} [/tex]

we obtain the Yukawa term above with the minus sign.

But if this is really right, [tex] \varphi^{i} [/tex] would be in the [tex] (\overline{2}, -1/2) [/tex] representation, which is equivalent to [tex] (2,-1/2) [/tex]

But is the U(1) quantum number -1/2 uneffected by raising or lowering the index (it is just an SU(2) index, isn't it?) ?
This number would only change, if we consider the Hermitian adjoint,
[tex] (\varphi_{i})^{\dagger} = \varphi^{\dagger} \, ^{i} [/tex] which would be in the representation
[tex] (2, +1/2) [/tex]

I hope someone could tell whether my thoughts are right or wrong.

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if I understand what you mean. The Yukawa coupling constant is just an arbitrary number at this point, it does not matter which sign it has. Its not like the kinetic terms where the prefactor has a specific fixed value. The Yukawa interaction is parameterized by one parameter, you can choose a way to write it. This changes as soon as the Higgs field acquires a vacuum expectation value, because then you can identify the Yukawa coupling y with something like fermion mass over Higgs vev, both well measured quantities. Then you have to care about which sign your mass has, and choose the sign of the Yukawa coupling constant accordingly.

Hope these ramblings help...

Related to Understanding the Yukawa Term in Srednicki's Lepton Sector

1. What is the "Lepton Sector" in Srednicki?

The Lepton Sector in Srednicki refers to the study of the fundamental particles known as leptons, which include electrons, muons, and neutrinos. It also involves the interactions between these particles and other fundamental particles, such as quarks, in the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. Why is the Lepton Sector important in physics?

The Lepton Sector plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws that govern it. It helps explain the behavior and properties of leptons, which are some of the building blocks of matter. It also provides insights into the nature of the fundamental forces, such as the weak and electromagnetic forces, that govern interactions between particles.

3. What are the main research areas in the Lepton Sector?

The main research areas in the Lepton Sector include understanding the properties of different types of leptons and their interactions, searching for new particles and phenomena beyond the Standard Model, and studying the role of leptons in the early universe and cosmology. Other areas of interest include the study of neutrino oscillations and the search for dark matter particles.

4. How is the Lepton Sector studied in Srednicki?

The Lepton Sector is studied using a combination of theoretical and experimental methods. Theoretical physicists use mathematical models and calculations to predict the behavior and properties of leptons and their interactions. Experimental physicists then test these predictions by conducting experiments using high-energy particle accelerators and detectors, such as the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.

5. What are some current developments in the Lepton Sector in Srednicki?

Some current developments in the Lepton Sector in Srednicki include the search for new physics beyond the Standard Model, such as the study of neutrino mass and oscillations. Other areas of interest include the development of new experimental techniques and technologies to better understand leptons and their interactions, as well as the use of data from high-energy experiments to further refine and test theoretical models.