Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Naming Plasma changes

  1. Sep 2, 2004 #1


    User Avatar

    Most of us know that when a liquid goes to a gas its called evaporation. We also know of deposition, sublimation, condensation, etc., but what are the names of the changes dealing with plasma? If plasma were change into a liquid, it is called? A solid? A gas? Are these even possible?

    Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2004 #2
    Theoretically, these transitions from plasma to gas and so on are possible, yet practically we are not able to implement them.

    Plasma's are very usefull as an energy-source, yet we cannot manipulate them very well because they are so hot that the surrounding "plasma-plant" would melt down. This can sound a bit childish, yet it is one of the biggest problems with plasma's and the engineering of them.

  4. Sep 2, 2004 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    I think the word you are looking for is ionization.
  5. Sep 2, 2004 #4

    True story,
    a plasma is generated by "heating" a gas that much , so there is enough kinetic energy that the gas-atoms become freely moving ions and electrons...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook