Exploring the Speed of NASA Shuttles in Space

In summary, when people say things are weightless in space they actually mean that things have no apparent weight in space. Even more importantly, the vehicle in orbit has the same mass that it had on the surface of the Earth. This means that Newton's third law is just as restrictive in space as it is on the surface of the Earth.
D H said:
If you want a good analogy, think of a fully-loaded 18 wheeler on ice with a VW engine and no brakes.
I love it!

Physics news on Phys.org
ok ok
i am young and i am into airplanes not shuttles
i guess i just drifted into a no fly zone.
and nice analogy

rbj said:
it doesn't hit the speed of light. even with all the fuel in the universe.

noagname said:
when i had said that i had meant when the shuttle gets to the speed of light then what would happen to it

the shuttle doesn't get to the speed of light. so how can your question be answered? there is no meaning to a question of "what are the consequences when something impossible happens?"

D H said:
Spacecraft are not at all like jet fighters. If you want a good analogy, think of a fully-loaded 18 wheeler on ice with a VW engine and no brakes.

OMG I'm still laughing! The only caveat being that while controlling direction and velocity can be brutal, with thrusters and gyro's and no air there is a vast amount more freedom of attitude control.