1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nasty Continued Fraction

1. May 16, 2008 #1
    If anybody can evaluate this, please let me know...

Infix notation:
    1/(2+3/(4+5/(6+7/(8+9/(10+11/(...))))))

Postfix notation:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 ... n ... / + / + / + / + ... / + ...

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. May 16, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ooops. I was reading it as a simple continued fraction, and it's not, sorry.

5. May 16, 2008 #4
    Why was this moved to homework help? This is no homework problem. I challenge whoever dared move this to this forum to provide the answer or relinquish their moderation powers. Silly mods.

6. May 16, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The mods are just trying to make this a livable place. Sometimes they make mistakes. A moderator that makes occasional mistakes in relocating threads is a lot better than no moderation. Trust me. But anyway, do you have a good reason for thinking there is an evaluation and why do you want to know? Just curious.

7. May 17, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you like, one of those "silly mods" could just delete this for you.

8. May 17, 2008 #7
    Whoa guys, no offense meant. Sheesh, serious mods.

Anywho, the reason I was wondering about this was that a student asked about it in my class. Apparently this thing does converge to around ~0.38, and I was just wondering if a more "pure" mathematician could help me out.

9. May 17, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you think about it, it would be just as hard to 'evaluate' (express in terms of elementary functions) an arbitrary continued fraction as an arbitrary string of digits. About all you can do is see if somebody has stumbled across it somehow. I took 1+1/(2+1/(3+1/(4+1/(5+1/... and evaluated it to a reasonable number of significant digits and hunted for it in Sloane's list. Was pretty happy to find something until I realized I'd gotten your fraction wrong. I don't find a hit for your form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?