How can the differential equation for a sphere in a room be solved?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a differential equation involving a sphere in a room being illuminated by a light source and set to a constant temperature. The equation is set up using variables and integrals, and various methods are discussed for solving it. The final solution involves writing t as a function of T(t), but there is no way to write T(t) as a function of t.
atta_bo-y
Hey guys,

I have a smallish problem with a differential equation.

Set up:
There is a sphere in a room; and it's being illuminated with intensity I from one side.
The room temperature (T_{environment}) is set to be constant.

[ latex ]
\Delta Q = Q_{in} - Q_{out}\\
= I\Delta t A - P_{out}\Delta t + P_{in}\Delta t\\
= I\Delta t A - \sigma A T^{4} \Delta t + \sigma A T^{4}_{environment} \Delta t\\
\Delta Q = cm\Delta T\\
\frac{\Delta T}{\Delta t} = I\Delta t \pi r^2 - \sigma 4 \pi r^2 T^{4} \Delta t + \sigma 4 \pi r^2 T^{4}_{environment} \Delta t
[ /latex ]

Hence we have a differential equation in the form of

!
[ latex ]
\frac{dT(t)}{dt} = a - b*T^4(t)
[ /latex ]
!

I have tried different methods... But none of them worked... (And wolframalpha can only solve for t :-( )

Thanks for your consideration ;-)
atta_bo-y

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first don't put the spaces in the <latex> bracket. Then have you tried to separate variables and then a partial fraction decomposition ?>

[itex]\frac{dT(t)}{dt} = a - b*T^4(t)[/itex]

Any tips for how to get T(t)??

[itex]
t+c &= \frac{-\log(bT(t)- a) + \log(a + bT(t)) + 2\arctan\left(\frac{bT(t)}{a}\right)}{4a^3b}
[/itex]
[itex]
(t+c)4a^3b &= \log\left(\frac{a+bT(t)}{-a + bT(t)}\right) + 2\arctan\left(\frac{bT(t)}{a}\right)
[/itex]
[itex]
(t+c)2a^3b = \arctan\left(\tan\left(\frac{1}{2}\log\left(\frac{a+bT(t)}{-a + bT(t)}\right)\right)\right) + \arctan\left(\frac{bT(t)}{a}\right)
[/itex]
[itex]
(t+c)2a^3b = \arctan\left(\frac{\tan\left(\frac{1}{2}\log\left(\frac{a+bT(t)}{-a + bT(t)}\right)\right) + \frac{bT(t)}{a}}{1-\tan\left(\frac{1}{2}\log\left(\frac{a+bT(t)}{-a + bT(t)}\right)\right)\frac{bT(t)}{a}}\right)
[/itex]

furthermore I can set

[itex]
\frac{a+bT(t)}{-a+bT(t)} = 1 + \frac{2a}{bT(t) - a}
[/itex]

Now this looks like a sisyphean direction to me... Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Thanks

Usually at this point you define a new special function named after yourself and put a box around it. :smile:

Easy ;)

[tex]T(t)=\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}}[/tex]

Well... if the differential equation youre trying to solve is:

[tex]\frac{dT(t)}{dt}=a-bT^4[/tex]

Then, there you go: first, separate the variables:

[tex]\frac{dT}{a-bT^4}=dt[/tex]

and integrate each side:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{a-bT^4}dT=t+C[/tex]
(Equation 1)

The T integral is somewhat lenghty to calculate. For making the calculations a bit better-looking, write:

[tex]a=e^4[/tex] and [tex]b=f^4[/tex].

Then decompose the integrand as:

[tex]\frac{1}{a-bT^4} = \frac{1}{e^4-f^4 T^4} = \frac{1}{2e^2} \left[\frac{1}{e^2+f^2 T^2} + \frac{1}{e^2-f^2 T^2} \right][/tex]

So the integral becomes:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{a-bT^4}dT = \frac{1}{2e^2} \left[ \int \frac{1}{e^2+f^2 T^2} dT + \int \frac{1}{e^2-f^2 T^2} dT \right][/tex]

The first integral can be calculated using the substituition

[tex]\frac{fT}{e}=tan(x)[/tex]

Which after some calculations leads to:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{e^2+f^2 T^2} dT = \frac{1}{ef} arctan \left( \frac{fT}{e} \right) [/tex]

The second integral can be decomposed as:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{e^2-f^2 T^2} dT = \frac{1}{2e} \int \left[ \frac{1}{e-fT} + \frac{1}{e+fT} \right] dT[/tex]

And integrating it we get:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{e^2-f^2 T^2} dT = \frac{1}{2ef} ln \left[ \frac{e+fT}{e-fT} \right][/tex]

So, the final result is:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{a-bT^4}dT =\frac{1}{2e^3 f}\left[ arctan\left(\frac{fT}{e}\right) + \frac{1}{2} ln\left(\frac{e+fT}{e-fT}\right)\right][/tex]

As shown in the equation called Equation 1, this is equal to t+C (C being an arbitrary constant), so the solution for the differential equation is:

[tex]\frac{1}{2e^3 f}\left[ arctan\left(\frac{fT}{e}\right) + \frac{1}{2} ln\left(\frac{e+fT}{e-fT}\right)\right] = t+C[/tex]

So you see you can write t as a function of T(t), but i think there is no way to find a way to write T(t) as a function of t. Anyway, its the best we can do... i hope it be enough.

BTW, in the above equation you can remove the e's and f's by writing them in function of the original parameters a and b as:

[tex]e=\sqrt[4]{a} [/tex] and [tex]f=\sqrt[4]{b}[/tex],

but the equation you will get is even uglier:

[tex]\frac{1}{2 \sqrt[4]{a^3 b} } \left[ arctan\left(\sqrt[4]{ \frac{b}{a} } T\right) + \frac{1}{2} ln\left(\frac{ \sqrt[4]{a}+\sqrt[4]{b}T }{ \sqrt[4]{a}-\sqrt[4]{b}T }\right)\right] = t+C[/tex]

Last edited:

What is a "Nasty differential equation"?

A "Nasty differential equation" is a term used to describe a particularly difficult or complex differential equation. It often involves multiple variables, non-linear relationships, or other challenging characteristics that make it difficult to solve.

Why are "Nasty differential equations" important in scientific research?

"Nasty differential equations" are important because they often model real-world phenomena that cannot be accurately described by simpler equations. They allow scientists to study complex systems and make predictions about how they will behave under different conditions.

What are some techniques for solving "Nasty differential equations"?

Some techniques for solving "Nasty differential equations" include numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, as well as analytical methods like separation of variables or Laplace transforms. However, there is no one-size-fits-all approach and the most appropriate method will depend on the specific equation and its characteristics.

What challenges do scientists face when dealing with "Nasty differential equations"?

The main challenge when dealing with "Nasty differential equations" is the complexity and difficulty in finding an exact solution. This often requires advanced mathematical skills and can be time-consuming. Additionally, even with numerical methods, finding an accurate and precise solution can be challenging and may require significant computing power.

Why is it important to accurately solve "Nasty differential equations"?

Accurately solving "Nasty differential equations" is important because the results can have significant implications for real-world systems and phenomena. Inaccurate or imprecise solutions can lead to incorrect predictions and potentially harmful outcomes. Therefore, it is crucial for scientists to strive for the most accurate and precise solutions possible.