Nasty integral - which piece of technology to trust?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 3K views
tatiana_eggs
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Nasty integral -- which piece of technology to trust?

Homework Statement



indefinite integral: e^x / (e^2x + 9) dx
Technology is allowed to solve it.

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



My trusty TI-89 says (pi/540)arctan((e^3x)/3)

while two different online integral calculators came up with (1/3log(e))*arctan((e^3x)/3)

What do you think? Which is right/should I trust? Should I just do it by hand? If so, what method do you recommend?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Hmm, I don't know if it's just by foggy memory of Calc II but that substitution doesn't seem to help it at all.
 


Make the subst [itex]e^{x} = 3 u[/tex] and your integral will be converted to a table one. none of the answers is correct.[/itex]
 


What relationship is there between [tex]e^{2x}[/tex] and [tex]e^x[/tex]? That should help with the integral and the substitution.
 


Thanks you two, I am starting to get it, but I am running into trouble.

So far, 3u=e^x, du=?dx -- should I take du/dx of e^x/3 and get du = e^x dx? But if I do that then I get an e^x in my integral below.

integral: 3u / (9u^2 + 9)
 


The derivative of u. I thought I had to take the derivative of my subsitution and solve for dx to sub that back into my integral.
 


I think your trusty TI-89 calculated exactly what you told it to calculate, rather than what you meant to calculate. Is it in degree mode, perchance, instead of radian mode?
 


so I got du = (e^x)/3 dx. What do I do with this expression? I thought I was supposed to solve for dx, and plug that into my integral with my u's. Is that not right?

integral: 3u / (9u^2 + 9) * 3 / (e^x) du
 


Oh, so then the default output of the arctangent function for TI-89 is in degrees.
 


Oh wow, I just did it in degree mode and it produced the answer consistent with the back of the book.
 


Thanks Statdad, Dickfore and Hurkyl, so very much!
 


Oh and I finally figured out the substitution thing. I realized I didn't need to sub 3u into the numerator
 


u=e^x
du=e^xdx
Your integral becomes
1/(u^2 +9) which is the antiderievative of (1/3)arctan(u/3)...
 
Last edited: