What is the Indefinite Integral of x*cos(3x)^2?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 2K views
Loopas
Messages
55
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Evaluate the indefinite integral of x*cos(3x)^2

Homework Equations



Integration by parts: [itex]\int(udv)[/itex]= uv - [itex]\int(vdu)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Im having trouble finding the antiderivative of cos(3x)^2 (which I designated as dv when doing integration by parts). I keep getting (1/9)(sin(3x)^3) using the power and chain rules, but that's not correct.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Loopas said:

Homework Statement



Evaluate the indefinite integral of x*cos(3x)^2

Homework Equations



Integration by parts: [itex]\int(udv)[/itex]= uv - [itex]\int(vdu)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Im having trouble finding the antiderivative of cos(3x)^2 (which I designated as dv when doing integration by parts). I keep getting (1/9)(sin(3x)^3) using the power and chain rules, but that's not correct.

Thanks!
Is this your integral?
$$\int x cos(9x^2)dx$$

If so, you might be able to do it by integration by parts, but I wouldn't do it this way. An ordinary substitution will work just fine.
 
Or is it$$
\int x\cos^2(3x)$$in which case a double angle formula and integration by parts would work.
 
Assuming you mean [itex]cos^2(3x)[/itex] use the identity [itex]cos(2a)= cos^2(a)- sin^2(a)= cos^2(a)- (1- cos^2(a)= 2cos^2(a) -1[/itex]. So [itex]cos^2(3x)= (cos(6a)+ 1)/2[/itex].
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, the integral is [itex]\int(xcos^{2}(3x))[/itex]

Im trying to use integration by parts but I can't find the antiderivative of cos[itex]_{2}[/itex](3x)

Assuming you mean cos2(3x) use the identity cos(2a)=cos2(a)−sin2(a)=cos2(a)−(1−cos2(a)=2cos2(a)−1. So cos2(3x)=(cos(6a)+1)/2.

What exactly is the form of the double angle formula?
 
What you wrote is extremely difficult to read. I have fixed it up to make it clear.
Loopas said:
Ok, the integral is [itex]\int(xcos^{2}(3x))[/itex]dx[/color]

Im trying to use integration by parts but I can't find the antiderivative of ##cos^2(3x)##

Assuming you mean cos2(3x) use the identity cos(2a)=cos2(a)−sin2(a)=cos2(a)−(1−cos2(a)=2cos2(a)−1. So cos2(3x)=(cos(6a)+1)/2.
Loopas said:
What exactly is the form of the double angle formula?
 
Loopas said:
Ok, the integral is [itex]\int(xcos^{2}(3x))[/itex]

Im trying to use integration by parts but I can't find the antiderivative of cos[itex]_{2}[/itex](3x)



What exactly is the form of the double angle formula?
$$\cos^2(3x)=\frac {1+\cos(6x)} 2$$
 
So would the correct antiderivative be [itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{sin(6x)}{12}[/itex]?
 
Loopas said:
So would the correct antiderivative be [itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{sin(6x)}{12}[/itex]?
It's easy enough to check for yourself. Just differentiate your answer and you should get the integrand.
 
Ok so I can use the double angle formula to put cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](3x) into a form that I can find the antiderivative more easily. But I'm confused about how to use the double angle identity to get [itex]\frac{1+cos(6x)}{2}[/itex]
 
The basic double angle formula for cosine says that [itex]cos(2\theta)= cos^2(\theta)- sin^2(\theta)[/itex]. But [itex]sin^2(\theta)= 1- cos^2(\theta)[/itex] so that can be written [itex]cos(2\theta)= cos^2(\theta)- (1- cos^2(\theta))= 2cos^2(\theta)- 1[/itex] From that [itex]2cos^2(\theta)= 1+ cos(2\theta)[/itex] and so [itex]cos^2(\theta)= \frac{1+ cos(2\theta)}{2}[/itex].

Now replace "[itex]\theta[/itex]" with "3x": [itex]cos^2(3x)= \frac{1+ cos(6x)}{2}[/itex].
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Ahh I can see it now! Thanks guys this was all really helpful!