What is the Indefinite Integral of x*cos(3x)^2?

In summary, the problem was trying to find the antiderivative of cos(3x)^2 but instead got (1/9)(sin(3x)^3). If you are trying to find the antiderivative of cos(3x)^2 in integration by parts, using the power and chain rules will not work. A substitution will work just fine.
Loopas

Homework Statement

Evaluate the indefinite integral of x*cos(3x)^2

Homework Equations

Integration by parts: [itex]\int(udv)[/itex]= uv - [itex]\int(vdu)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Im having trouble finding the antiderivative of cos(3x)^2 (which I designated as dv when doing integration by parts). I keep getting (1/9)(sin(3x)^3) using the power and chain rules, but that's not correct.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Loopas said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the indefinite integral of x*cos(3x)^2

Homework Equations

Integration by parts: [itex]\int(udv)[/itex]= uv - [itex]\int(vdu)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Im having trouble finding the antiderivative of cos(3x)^2 (which I designated as dv when doing integration by parts). I keep getting (1/9)(sin(3x)^3) using the power and chain rules, but that's not correct.

Thanks!
Is this your integral?
$$\int x cos(9x^2)dx$$

If so, you might be able to do it by integration by parts, but I wouldn't do it this way. An ordinary substitution will work just fine.

Or is it$$
\int x\cos^2(3x)$$in which case a double angle formula and integration by parts would work.

Loopas,
Obviously, what you wrote is ambiguous.

Assuming you mean [itex]cos^2(3x)[/itex] use the identity [itex]cos(2a)= cos^2(a)- sin^2(a)= cos^2(a)- (1- cos^2(a)= 2cos^2(a) -1[/itex]. So [itex]cos^2(3x)= (cos(6a)+ 1)/2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, the integral is [itex]\int(xcos^{2}(3x))[/itex]

Im trying to use integration by parts but I can't find the antiderivative of cos[itex]_{2}[/itex](3x)

Assuming you mean cos2(3x) use the identity cos(2a)=cos2(a)−sin2(a)=cos2(a)−(1−cos2(a)=2cos2(a)−1. So cos2(3x)=(cos(6a)+1)/2.

What exactly is the form of the double angle formula?

What you wrote is extremely difficult to read. I have fixed it up to make it clear.
Loopas said:
Ok, the integral is [itex]\int(xcos^{2}(3x))[/itex]dx

Im trying to use integration by parts but I can't find the antiderivative of ##cos^2(3x)##

Assuming you mean cos2(3x) use the identity cos(2a)=cos2(a)−sin2(a)=cos2(a)−(1−cos2(a)=2cos2(a)−1. So cos2(3x)=(cos(6a)+1)/2.
Loopas said:

Loopas said:
Ok, the integral is [itex]\int(xcos^{2}(3x))[/itex]

Im trying to use integration by parts but I can't find the antiderivative of cos[itex]_{2}[/itex](3x)

$$\cos^2(3x)=\frac {1+\cos(6x)} 2$$

So would the correct antiderivative be [itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{sin(6x)}{12}[/itex]?

Loopas said:
So would the correct antiderivative be [itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{sin(6x)}{12}[/itex]?
It's easy enough to check for yourself. Just differentiate your answer and you should get the integrand.

Ok so I can use the double angle formula to put cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](3x) into a form that I can find the antiderivative more easily. But I'm confused about how to use the double angle identity to get [itex]\frac{1+cos(6x)}{2}[/itex]

The basic double angle formula for cosine says that [itex]cos(2\theta)= cos^2(\theta)- sin^2(\theta)[/itex]. But [itex]sin^2(\theta)= 1- cos^2(\theta)[/itex] so that can be written [itex]cos(2\theta)= cos^2(\theta)- (1- cos^2(\theta))= 2cos^2(\theta)- 1[/itex] From that [itex]2cos^2(\theta)= 1+ cos(2\theta)[/itex] and so [itex]cos^2(\theta)= \frac{1+ cos(2\theta)}{2}[/itex].

Now replace "[itex]\theta[/itex]" with "3x": [itex]cos^2(3x)= \frac{1+ cos(6x)}{2}[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Ahh I can see it now! Thanks guys this was all really helpful!

What is an indefinite integral problem?

An indefinite integral problem is a type of calculus problem that involves finding the general antiderivative of a given function. It is also known as an antiderivative problem.

How do you solve an indefinite integral problem?

To solve an indefinite integral problem, you must identify the given function and apply the appropriate integration rules to find its antiderivative. This will involve using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities.

What is the difference between indefinite and definite integrals?

The main difference between indefinite and definite integrals is that an indefinite integral has no set limits of integration, while a definite integral has specific upper and lower limits. In other words, an indefinite integral represents a family of antiderivatives, while a definite integral represents a single numerical value.

Why are indefinite integrals important?

Indefinite integrals are important because they allow us to find the original function from its derivative. This is useful in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering, where we need to find the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object by taking its derivative.

What are some common mistakes when solving indefinite integral problems?

Some common mistakes when solving indefinite integral problems include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making algebraic errors, and not using the appropriate integration rules. It is also important to check your work and simplify your answer as much as possible.