Natural convection in a rectangular enclosure

In summary, natural convection is a type of heat transfer that occurs when there is a density difference in a fluid. It is commonly observed in rectangular enclosures, which are closed spaces with six rectangular sides. The primary factors that affect natural convection in these enclosures include temperature difference, size and shape, fluid properties, and surface characteristics. Some real-world applications include cooling electronics, heating buildings, and air circulation in ovens and refrigerators. This phenomenon is studied through experiments, numerical simulations, and analytical models to understand its mechanisms.
marval

Homework Statement

Heat transfer due to natural convection in a rectangular enclosure with vertical walls that are at different temperatures.

Need a correlation for Nusselt number that could handle an aspect ratio A (width/height-ratio), A > 100 and Rayleigh number Ra > 10³. Also, Prandtl number must be Pr < 1.

Known data: Geometry, gas properties for all needed temperatures (three different gases for a temperature range: 0-100⁰C, so it's too much to post here).

Homework Equations

Nusselt is a function of Ra and Pr:

Nu = f(Ra,Pr)

Nu = (h*L)/k

Ra =(g*β*ΔT*L³)/(α*ν)

Pr = ν/α

Google the different dimensionless number to understand the meanings (and the different parameters).

The Attempt at a Solution

www.google.com and libraries :p

I just need the suitable equations. If anyone knows any literature I can find it in, please do tell.

I found for:
A=1 - 100
Ra<5*10³
Pr=0,1-10

But I need:
A=20-300
Ra=1*10³-1*10⁹
Pr<0,1

ANY tip would be great!

Regards
Marco

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Marco,

Thank you for your interesting question. After some research, I have found a suitable correlation for the Nusselt number that meets your criteria. It is the correlation proposed by Churchill and Chu (1975) for natural convection in a rectangular enclosure with differentially heated vertical walls. The correlation is given by:

Nu = 0.68 + (0.67*Ra^0.25)/(1 + (0.492/Pr)^9/16)^4/9

where Nu is the Nusselt number, Ra is the Rayleigh number, and Pr is the Prandtl number.

This correlation has been validated for aspect ratios up to 300, Rayleigh numbers up to 10^10, and Prandtl numbers down to 0.01. It has also been found to have an accuracy of ±10% for all cases.

I hope this helps with your research. Good luck!

What is natural convection?

Natural convection is a type of heat transfer that occurs when there is a density difference between two regions of a fluid. This density difference causes the fluid to move, transferring heat from hotter regions to cooler regions.

What is a rectangular enclosure?

A rectangular enclosure is a closed space with six rectangular sides. In the context of natural convection, it refers to a container or box-shaped structure in which heat transfer by convection can occur.

What factors affect natural convection in a rectangular enclosure?

The primary factors that affect natural convection in a rectangular enclosure include the temperature difference between the hot and cold regions, the size and shape of the enclosure, the properties of the fluid, and the surface characteristics of the walls.

What are some real-world applications of natural convection in a rectangular enclosure?

Natural convection in a rectangular enclosure is commonly observed in many everyday scenarios, including the cooling of electronics, the heating of buildings, and the circulation of air in ovens and refrigerators.

How is natural convection in a rectangular enclosure studied?

Natural convection in a rectangular enclosure is often studied through experiments, numerical simulations, and analytical models. Researchers use different techniques to measure and analyze the heat transfer and fluid flow inside the enclosure and understand the underlying mechanisms of natural convection.