1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural frequency of large degree of freedom system

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    I have a spring-mass system with 200 masses and 199 springs. All masses are 100 tonnes and stiffness 20 MN. The boundary conditions are fixed-free.

I have constructed a lumped mass matrix and stiffness matrix and calculated the lowest natural frequency. Including the boundary conditions I calculated this to be 0.0124 Hz.

However, when I calculate the wave speed, I can calculate the period of the wave starting at one end, reflecting at the free end and returning. This frequency (1/T) is more than double the natural frequency I calculated. The wave speed I calculated was 141.4 m/s assuming the distance between masses is 10 metres.

Am I using the wrong approach here for calculating the natural frequency both ways?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2
    How did you calculate the speed of the wave in this system? And what kind of wave?

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3

xts

What does it mean stiffness 20MN? You, maybe, meant 20 MN/m?
    And how are they connected? In a simple chain mass-spring-mass-sping-mass....mass-spring-mass, or rather in some mesh?

5. Oct 21, 2011 #4
    Yes I did mean 20 MN/m.
    Solved.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook