Solving a Tricky Natural Log Question

In summary, the conversation is about a tricky natural log, ln(1/x), and the attempt to rewrite it using the rules of logs. However, the calculator is not giving the expected result and the reason for this is discussed. The alternative method of using the "power rule" is also mentioned.
Weather Freak
I have a tricky natural log in front of me.

It's ln(1/x).

The reason it's tricky is because I thought that I could re-write it as ln(1)-ln(x), as per the rules of logs, but that doesn't seem to agree with my calculator. Is there a reason why?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
you put it in your calculator wrong?

Works just fine for me. Check your parenthesis or something

Weather Freak said:
I have a tricky natural log in front of me.
It's ln(1/x).
The reason it's tricky is because I thought that I could re-write it as ln(1)-ln(x), as per the rules of logs, but that doesn't seem to agree with my calculator. Is there a reason why?
Thanks!

And of course, log(1)= 0 so this is -ln(x). You could also have used the "power rule" to say ln(1/x)= ln(x-1)= -ln(x).

Is that what your calculator is giving you? Remember- you are supposed to be smarter than your calculator!:smile:

1. What is a natural logarithm?

A natural logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the inverse of the exponential function. It is written as ln(x) and is used to solve for the exponent in an exponential equation.

2. How do I solve a tricky natural log question?

To solve a tricky natural log question, you will need to use the properties of logarithms, such as the product and quotient rules, as well as algebraic manipulation to simplify the equation. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of exponential and logarithmic functions.

3. What are the common mistakes when solving natural log questions?

Some common mistakes when solving natural log questions include forgetting to apply the logarithm rules, not simplifying the equation enough, or not checking the final answer for extraneous solutions. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve natural log questions?

Yes, a calculator can be helpful in solving natural log questions, especially when dealing with large numbers. However, it is important to be familiar with the properties of logarithms and the correct order of operations when using a calculator.

5. How can solving natural log questions be applied in real life?

Natural logarithms have many applications in the fields of science, finance, and engineering. They are used to model exponential growth and decay, calculate interest rates, and solve problems involving rates of change. They are also used in statistical analysis and to solve differential equations in physics and engineering.