Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Naturally occuring inductors

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    I'm not entirely sure if this post belongs here, but I guess the topic of electrodynamics is vast.

My question is; are there any materials / plants / animals that act as electric inductors? In other words, are inductors solely made up of coiled wires, or do they occur naturally?

To rephrase, all objects have some capacitive properties; so do they also have inductive properties.

Thanks in advance,
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2
    My guess would be that any material that can conduct electricity can be influenced by induction.

But I'm not sure. Maybe you could Google something like "Induction in organic materials"
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  4. Nov 8, 2008 #3
    Anything that supported current moving in a closed loop would possess inductive reactance. A solid conductor--no hole in the middle necessary--would suffice.
  5. Nov 11, 2008 #4
    Hello everybody!

Any thing where a current can flow has an inductance. The object doesn't even need to show explicit nor implicit closed loops. A straight antenna, with current flowing in the long direction, has an inductance per unit length (as well as a capacitance). Something like 0.6µH/m, but more if you use several turns closely packed, or a ferromagnetic core.

This holds even for polarization currents, not only displacement currents. That is: for insulators as well, not only conductors - for a short time, or with AC currents.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?