Navigating Damped and Forced Harmonic Motion

In summary, The conversation is about damped and forced harmonic motion and the lack of understanding due to not taking further maths. The person is looking for online resources to better understand the topic, specifically the result e^(ipt)=cos(pt)+isin(pt). Someone explains that it is the definition of the complex exponential and suggests plugging it into the power series of e^x to better understand it.
Saoist
hi guys,

doing damped and forced harmonic motion at college at the moment, but i don't do further maths...hence I'm a tad behind compared to those who do (half the class). we don't need to know it for the exam itself, but you know...curiosity. does anyone know of any good online resources about FHM and DHM, maths included, but which explains clearly and concisely?

one major problem i have is that I've never seen the result:

e^(ipt)=cos(pt)+isin(pt) before. saw this in the middle of the DHM derivation which we were shown for all of 30seconds, scribbled it down.does anyone have a good derivation for this please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually it's the definition of the complex exponential.

But to see that it makes sense, simple plug ipt into the power series of e^x, and look at what you get.

Last edited:

Hi there! I can definitely relate to feeling behind in a class, especially when it comes to math. Damped and forced harmonic motion can definitely be a tricky subject, but there are definitely some great online resources that can help you understand it better.

First of all, I would recommend checking out Khan Academy's videos on damped and forced harmonic motion. They have a whole series of videos on the topic that break down the concepts and equations in a clear and concise way. They also have practice problems and quizzes to help you test your understanding.

Another great resource is the MIT OpenCourseWare website, which offers free online courses from MIT. They have a course specifically on damped and forced harmonic motion that includes lecture notes, practice problems, and even video lectures. It might be a bit more advanced, but it could definitely help you understand the topic in more depth.

As for the derivation of e^(ipt)=cos(pt)+isin(pt), I would recommend checking out Paul's Online Math Notes. They have a section specifically on complex numbers and trigonometry, which includes a derivation of this formula. They also have practice problems and examples to help solidify your understanding.

I hope these resources help you out! Just remember to take your time and practice as much as you can. With a bit of effort and persistence, I'm sure you'll be able to catch up and excel in this subject. Best of luck!

1. What is damped and forced harmonic motion?

Damped and forced harmonic motion refers to the movement of an object or system that experiences both a restoring force (harmonic) and a dissipating force (damped) as well as an applied external force (forced).

2. What are examples of damped and forced harmonic motion?

Examples of damped and forced harmonic motion include swinging pendulums, metal springs with weights attached, and electrical circuits with resistors.

3. How does damping affect harmonic motion?

Damping affects harmonic motion by reducing the amplitude of the oscillations over time. This is due to the dissipating force, such as friction or air resistance, which causes the system to lose energy and eventually come to rest.

4. What is the role of external forces in damped and forced harmonic motion?

External forces, or forced oscillations, play a crucial role in damped and forced harmonic motion by providing energy to the system to counteract the dissipating force. This allows the system to continue oscillating at a steady amplitude.

5. How is damped and forced harmonic motion relevant in real-life applications?

Damped and forced harmonic motion has many practical applications, such as in engineering, where it is used to design and analyze structures and systems with oscillating components. It is also relevant in fields like physics and biology, where it can be used to understand the behavior of systems like molecules, cells, and organs.