NBS vs radical HBr in the bromination of olefins

In summary, the different sources of bromine radicals can lead to varying regioselectivity in the bromination of alkenes. When NBS is used, the allylic position is favored due to the low concentration of bromine and hydrogen bromide, allowing for successful allylic substitution. This is in contrast to the addition of HBr and peroxides, which primarily adds to the pi bond. The key factor is the concentration of bromine and hydrogen bromide, with lower concentrations favoring allylic substitution. This has been demonstrated through experiments and can be explained through the reversible addition of bromine and the role of NBS as a radical scavenger.
Mike Dacre
I am having some trouble understanding why different sources of bromine radicals supposedly brominate an alkene at different positions. What I mean by this:
m1mFwbV.png
In the first example, the Bromine radical attacks a hydrogen at the allylic position and then a termination reaction results in a Bromine at that position. In the second reaction, the Bromine radical from a split HBr molecule attacks the π bond and adds in an anti-Markovnikov way, because that allows the radical intermediate to be at the more stable tertiary carbon. The final reaction is the non-radical addition of HBr.

My question is about the first two reactions here. What favors one over the other. In my mind, both HBr + peroxides and NBS (N-Bromosuccinimide) are a source of Bromine radicals, and the reaction should proceed in much the same way. I know that in the HBr reaction, there are hydrogen radicals floating around also, but I don't think that that is the answer. The mechanisms are different, but I cannot pinpoint what would make one product favored over the others.

I realize that radical reactions are extremely messy, with lots of side products, but the way my textbook (Brown, Foote, Iverson, Anslyn) teaches it it seems like the NBS reaction primarily targets the allylic position and the HBr + peroxides reaction primarily adds to the π bond. Any ideas on what about the mechanism leads to this result would be hugely helpful, I am struggling to find anything useful online (too many competing search results for my search terms).

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
DrDu said:
March has a nice explanation

Thank you, I found it after some searching.

The answer is that the above mechanisms do compete with each other in all cases, however, when NBS is used, allylic hydrogen substitution wins.

In the halogenation of a pi bond, either by ionic or radical mechanisms, the first step of the reaction is the reversible addition of the halogen, in this case bromine. In order for the addition to be permanent, the resultant cation or radical needs an anion or radical to complete the reaction. If the concentration of Br2, HBr, radicals, and nucleophiles is sufficiently low, the reaction will proceed very slowly.

N-bromosuccinimide provides a low concentration source of radicals and Br2, and scavenges any created HBr:
aLJjIJ4.png

r3dvywT.png

2A9FcEE.png

The result is a low concentration of Br2 and radical sites on the carbon species being brominated, resulting in the following reaction:

1fjR5G1.png

As the radical is most stable in an allylic position, and additions of bromine to the pi bond are reversible and short lived, the radical bromination at the allylic position outcompetes the other reactions, resulting in almost 100% allylic position hydrogen substitution. If the concentrations of bromine or hydrogen bromide were higher, this would not happen.

From March:
March's Advanced Organic Chemistry (Page 963) said:
If the concentration is sufficiently low, there is a low probability that the proper species will be in the vicinity once the intermediate forms. The intermediate in either case reverts to the initial species and the allylic substitution competes successfully. If this is true, it should be possible to brominate an alkene in the allylic position without competition from addition, even in the absence of NBS or a similar compound, if a very low concentration of bromine is used and if the HBr is removed as it is formed so that it is not available to complete the addition step. This has indeed been demonstrated.1

1McGrath, B. P. & Tedder, J. M. MECHANISM OF ALLYLIC BROMINATION BY N-BROMOSUCCINIMIDE. PROCEEDINGS OF THE CHEMICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON p.199 (1961).

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the difference between NBS and radical HBr in the bromination of olefins?

NBS (N-bromosuccinimide) is a mild and selective brominating agent, while radical HBr (hydrogen bromide) is a more reactive and non-selective brominating agent. NBS generates a controlled amount of bromine radicals through thermal or photochemical decomposition, while radical HBr produces a higher concentration of bromine radicals through radical chain reactions.

2. Which agent is more suitable for the bromination of olefins?

This depends on the desired outcome. NBS is often preferred for selective bromination of specific positions on the olefin, while radical HBr is more suitable for overall substitution of multiple bromine atoms on the olefin.

3. How does the reaction mechanism differ between NBS and radical HBr in the bromination of olefins?

NBS follows a radical chain mechanism, where the bromine radicals are generated in the presence of light or heat and react with the olefin to form the brominated product. In contrast, radical HBr follows a radical addition mechanism, where the hydrogen atom from HBr is abstracted by the olefin to form a bromine radical, which then reacts with another molecule of HBr to regenerate the bromine radical and form the product.

4. What are the advantages of using NBS over radical HBr in the bromination of olefins?

One advantage of using NBS is its selectivity, which allows for the targeted bromination of specific positions on the olefin. NBS is also less reactive and easier to handle compared to radical HBr, making it a safer option for laboratory use.

5. Are there any limitations to using NBS or radical HBr in the bromination of olefins?

Both NBS and radical HBr have limitations in their use. NBS may not be suitable for overall substitution of multiple bromine atoms on the olefin, while radical HBr may result in unwanted side reactions due to its high reactivity. It is important to consider the specific needs of the reaction when choosing between these two brominating agents.