Need a better applied analysis textbook

In summary, the speaker is currently using the textbook "Differential Equations & Linear Algebra" by Edwards & Penny for their course and describes it as an overwhelming experience. They are looking for a better textbook and potentially a better professor, and someone suggests the book "Modeling and Analysis of Dynamic Systems" by Close, Frederick, and Newell as a good option. The speaker has had previous experience with this book and finds it to be a useful reference.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Right now our class is using Differential equations & linear algebra, Edwards & Penny, 2nd edition... and this book is like some sort of religious experience. You close the book not knowing what exactly happened, equations were falling from the sky, water turned into wine and you aren't really sure how in the world it happened and that some divine force had just come down and waived their hands and expected you to know exactly what was going on.

The course description of this course is "Introduction to ordinary linear differential equations; solutions by power series and Laplace transforms. Solution of systems of equations. Introduction to Fourier series. Using computer software as an exploratory tool. "

I think i need a better textbook... and i'd love a better professor but i don't think that's happening. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
A good book for linear differential equations and systems thereof (with applications) is Modeling and Analysis of Dynamic Systems, 3ed, by Close, Frederick and Newell. I took a course from the 2nd edition of the book (before Newell came along), and Close was actually my professor. I didn't care for his teaching "live, in person" but the book suited me just fine. I still use it as a reference.

What makes a good applied analysis textbook?

A good applied analysis textbook should have a clear and organized presentation of concepts, practical examples and exercises, and a balance between theory and application. It should also have a comprehensive index and glossary for easy reference.

How do I choose the best applied analysis textbook for my needs?

When choosing an applied analysis textbook, consider the level of difficulty, the topics covered, the teaching style, and the availability of additional resources such as online tutorials or practice problems. It is also helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from peers or professors.

What are some common challenges in understanding applied analysis?

Some students may struggle with visualizing abstract concepts or applying them to real-world problems. It is important for an applied analysis textbook to address these challenges by providing clear explanations, helpful diagrams and examples, and opportunities for practice.

How can an applied analysis textbook prepare me for a career in science?

An effective applied analysis textbook will not only teach you the necessary technical skills, but also develop your critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. These skills are essential for a successful career in any scientific field.

Are there any online resources that can supplement an applied analysis textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and practice problems. Some textbooks may also have accompanying websites with additional materials and resources. It is always beneficial to explore these resources to enhance your understanding of the subject.