How Is Light Intensity Affected by Multiple Polarizing Filters?

• Thread starter alittlelost
  • Start date
In summary: If the light is then incident on a filter with transmission direction at 60o, then the intensity will be reduced by cos^2(60o) = 1/4. Another 50% reduction will occur if the light is then incident on a third filter with transmission direction at 30o. So the total reduction will be 1/4 x 1/2 = 1/8.In summary, when unpolarized light is incident on a series of polarizing filters with transmission directions at angles θ1, θ2, θ3, ..., θn, the intensity of the light after passing through all the filters will be reduced by a factor of cos^2(θ1
alittlelost
Consider the following polarization problem.The original light wave is completely un-polarized.The first screen is oriented vertically, while the last (third) screen is oriented horizontally. The middle screen is angled at 30° from the vertical. Assume the original intensity of the unpolarized light is 100%.

I know that after going through the first screen, 50% of the original intensity remains and I also figured out the second screen too. I missed the notes for this so I'm a little stumped with what I would do for the last screen. Would it's % of intensity be half of what came out of the second screen?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the intensity of the light before entering the first screen is [itex]I_{0}[/itex], then its intensity after exiting the screen in the middle is [itex]\displaystyle\frac{3I_{0}}{16}[/itex]. By passing through the third screen, intensity will be reduced further to [STRIKE]cos^2(70)[/STRIKE] [itex]\displaystyle\frac{3I_{0}}{16}\frac{cos^2(60°)}{2}≈0.04688 I_{0}[/itex]. Its 70° because that is the angle between the orientations of screens 2 and 3.

Whatever may be the orientation of the two screens, intensity will certainly be reduced to half of its original value. The angle between the screens will reduce it further.

Last edited:
kbar1 said:
If the intensity of the light before entering the first screen is [itex]I_{0}[/itex], then its intensity after exiting the screen in the middle is [itex]\displaystyle\frac{3I_{0}}{16}[/itex]. By passing through the third screen, intensity will be reduced further to [itex]\displaystyle\frac{3I_{0}}{16}\frac{cos^2(70°)}{2}≈0.01097 I_{0}[/itex]. Its 70° because that is the angle between the orientations of screens 2 and 3.

Oops. The factor cos2(70o)/2 is not correct. The angle is not 70o and the division by 2 is incorrect.
[EDIT: I'm afraid the 3/16 factor is also incorrect]
Whatever may be the orientation of the two screens, intensity will certainly be reduced to half of its original value. The angle between the screens will reduce it further.

No. If light is polarized vertically and then passes through a vertically oriented polarizing filter, the intensity will not be reduced at all (assuming ideal filter).

Last edited:
alittlelost said:
I know that after going through the first screen, 50% of the original intensity remains and I also figured out the second screen too.

Yes, 50% after first filter. Since you didn't show your work for the second filter, I can't know if what you did is correct.

I missed the notes for this so I'm a little stumped with what I would do for the last screen. Would it's % of intensity be half of what came out of the second screen?

No. You will need Malus' Law

TSny said:
Oops. The factor cos2(70o)/2 is not correct. The angle is not 70o and the division by 2 is incorrect.
[EDIT: I'm afraid the 3/16 factor is also incorrect]

Very sorry about that. I was just trying to help.

Silly me, that should be [itex]cos^2(60°)[/itex].

But why is 3I0/16 incorrect? Intensity is reduced by 1/2 after the first screen, another 1/2 because of the second screen, and by [itex]cos^2(30°)[/itex]. So that would be 3I0/16. Am I missing anything?

And why is the division by two incorrect? Is the intensity not diminished by 50% after passing through a screen?

Again, very sorry "alittlelost"... :cry:

kbar1 said:
But why is 3I0/16 incorrect? Intensity is reduced by 1/2 after the first screen, another 1/2 because of the second screen, and by [itex]cos^2(30°)[/itex]. So that would be 3I0/16. Am I missing anything?

The intensity of unpolarized light will be reduced by 1/2 when passing through an ideal polarizing filter. But if the incident light is plane polarized, the intensity will be reduced by a factor of cos2θ (not ##\frac{1}{2}\cdot##cos2θ), where θ is the angle between the polarization direction of the incident light and the transmission direction of the filter. For example, if vertically polarized light is incident on an ideal filter with transmission direction also vertical, then 100% of the light gets through.

Related to How Is Light Intensity Affected by Multiple Polarizing Filters?

1. What does "Need a little clarification" mean in a scientific context?

"Need a little clarification" is a phrase commonly used by scientists when discussing a topic or concept that may be confusing or unclear. It is a polite way of asking for further explanation or additional information.

2. How can I ask for clarification in a scientific setting?

Asking for clarification in a scientific setting can be done by using phrases such as "Can you please elaborate on that?", "I'm not sure I understand, can you explain further?", or simply stating "I need a little clarification on this topic."

3. Why is asking for clarification important in scientific research?

Asking for clarification in scientific research is crucial because it ensures that all information and data are accurately understood and interpreted. It also allows for a better understanding of complex concepts and promotes collaboration and communication among scientists.

4. How can I provide clarification to others in a scientific setting?

To provide clarification to others in a scientific setting, it is important to use clear and concise language, provide visual aids or examples if possible, and to be patient and open to questions and discussions. It is also helpful to break down complex ideas into smaller, more understandable pieces.

5. What should I do if I still need further clarification after asking?

If you still need further clarification after asking a question, you can follow up with more specific or targeted questions, consult additional resources such as scientific papers or textbooks, or ask for clarification from a different perspective or from another expert in the field.