1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a little intuition on equation of travelling wave .

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    So heres the equation
    y(x,t) = A cos (kx - wt)
    where A is the amplitude of vibration and k = 2pi/lambda
    i have already dealt with SHM or SHO and i completely understand the equations like
    x = Acos(wt + phi)
    but i didnt really dealt with waves and the equation of travelling wave is kinda difficult to understand so if someone could I dont know prove or explain how the equation works i would be really happy
    thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Look at t= 0, x= 0. From that equation, y(0, 0)= A. Now suppose t is a little greater than 0. We can still get y(x, t)= A, as long as kx- wt= 0 which is the same as x= (w/k) t. That is, as long as we are "moving" at speed w/k. Choosing any other value of x with t= 0, we would get some other value of y, less than A, but we could get that same y value by keeping x= that original value of x plus (w/k)t. That is, if we were to move along the x-axis at speed w/k, we would always see exactly the same thing- we would be moving with the wave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook