Need a little intuition on equation of travelling wave .

In summary, the conversation discussed the equation y(x,t) = A cos (kx - wt) where A is the amplitude of vibration and k = 2pi/lambda. The speaker is familiar with simple harmonic motion (SHM) equations but is struggling to understand the equation for a traveling wave. They are looking for someone to explain or prove how the equation works, and it is mentioned that at t=0, x=0, the equation simplifies to y(0,0)= A. It is also noted that moving at a speed of w/k will result in always seeing the same value for y.
nishantve1
So here's the equation
y(x,t) = A cos (kx - wt)
where A is the amplitude of vibration and k = 2pi/lambda
i have already dealt with SHM or SHO and i completely understand the equations like
x = Acos(wt + phi)
but i didnt really dealt with waves and the equation of traveling wave is kinda difficult to understand so if someone could I don't know prove or explain how the equation works i would be really happy
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at t= 0, x= 0. From that equation, y(0, 0)= A. Now suppose t is a little greater than 0. We can still get y(x, t)= A, as long as kx- wt= 0 which is the same as x= (w/k) t. That is, as long as we are "moving" at speed w/k. Choosing any other value of x with t= 0, we would get some other value of y, less than A, but we could get that same y value by keeping x= that original value of x plus (w/k)t. That is, if we were to move along the x-axis at speed w/k, we would always see exactly the same thing- we would be moving with the wave.

1. What is a travelling wave?

A travelling wave is a type of wave that moves through a medium, such as air or water, and carries energy without carrying matter. It is characterized by its frequency, wavelength, and amplitude.

2. How is a travelling wave represented mathematically?

A travelling wave can be represented by an equation in the form of y(x,t) = A*cos(kx - ωt + φ), where y is the displacement of the wave at a certain point, x is the position, t is the time, A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

3. What is the difference between a travelling wave and a standing wave?

A travelling wave moves through a medium, while a standing wave appears to be stationary. Travelling waves have a constant amplitude and wavelength, while standing waves have varying amplitudes and nodes.

4. How do you determine the speed of a travelling wave?

The speed of a travelling wave can be calculated by multiplying the wavelength by the frequency, or by dividing the distance travelled by the time it takes to travel that distance.

5. Can a travelling wave be reflected or refracted?

Yes, travelling waves can be reflected or refracted when they encounter a boundary between two different mediums. The change in medium can cause the wave to change direction or speed.