1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Calculus Help

1. Jan 13, 2005 #1
    I am studying for a Calculus test and I need some help withsome concepts...

1) The problem is find the derivatie of y= (integral a=1 b=sinx of) t^3 dt. I went into my book and found a formula for it. The derivative of (intergral a=constant b=x of) f(t) dt = f(x). So I got (sinx)^3 is this right? If so can someone explain this concept and provide a proof for it? My text book isn't good at explaining things...

2)The problem is to differentiate y=log base x (2x). So I chamged it to ln2x/lnx from there can i just use divison rule? u'v -uv'/v^2? in that case would it be (lnx/x-ln2x/x)/(lnx)^2?

Thanks in advance for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2005 #2
    1: is your derivative repect to x or t? this make a huge different
    2: you are perfectly correct....

4. Jan 13, 2005 #3
    y= (integral a=1 b=sinx of) t^3 dt, so the differential unit is t, since it is dt, im guessing, thats all the information i was given

5. Jan 13, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then it's wrong.Compute the antiderivative of the integrand and apply the fundamental formula of Leibniz & Newton.

Daniel.

6. Jan 13, 2005 #5
    No clue what you just said...

7. Jan 13, 2005 #6
    How do I use LaTex to make it clearer?

8. Jan 13, 2005 #7
    OK, your integrand is t^3 and the limit is from 1 to sinx.... right?
    Here is how u do the derivative of this monster...
    if it is repect to t.. do the integral and substitude 1 and sinx in.... and do the derivative
    if it is repect to x.. do the integral and substitude 1 and sinx in.... and do the derivative

basically, what you gonna do is do the integral and substitude 1 and sinx in.... and do the derivative, OK?

but if the derivative is repect to t, the result is trivial......

9. Jan 13, 2005 #8
    I dont understand.... I do the integral and I get t^4/4 substitutre for sinx and do the derivative I get sinx^3cosx is that right?

10. Jan 13, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a compiler that will "translate" all code lines u type in the window in which u write the message.Use the function "preview post" to check formulas for typos.

The result is trivial.It can be shown that
    [tex] \frac{d}{dx}{\int_{const.}^{f(x)} u(t) dt =u(f(x))f'(x) [/tex]

I still reccomend to you to do the integration and then the differentiation and confront with the result my formula gives you.

Daniel.

11. Jan 13, 2005 #10
    [tex] \frac{d}{dx}{\int_{const.}^{f(x)} u(t) dt =u(f(x)) \frac{d}{dx}f(x)[/tex]

12. Jan 13, 2005 #11
    Oh ok... my books says g(x) = (intergral from a constant to x of) f(t) dt, then g'(x) = f(x)

13. Jan 13, 2005 #12
    Thanks for all the help!!! and is there a website or a help file that has the code?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  14. Jan 13, 2005 #13

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Our own enormous thread about it here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

The first post in this thread has links to external sources about LaTeX

15. Jan 13, 2005 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,PF is one of them.Check out the "sticky" in the General Physics forum called "Intriducing LaTex typesetting".U'll find amog those posts a link to a ".pdf"file with the code.
    Quicker version.Click (left) on one of the formulas in this (and any other one) thread and u'll be opened (if u don't have a pop-up blocker) a new window with the code for that specific formula and a link to the ".pdf" file with the code.

And it's "inputs"... :tongue2:

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?