Where Can I Find Advanced Vector Problems in Physics?

• Thread starter Atomos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for challenging vector problems in physics class, specifically ones that go beyond basic calculations and involve concepts of calculus. The speaker suggests searching for such problems online or creating their own. They also mention the possibility of using vector operators to derive more complex problems.
Atomos
We are doing vectors in physics, and the only practice problems we have are redundant and simply ones in the book, which go no further than simply calculating the vector components and adding them or solving for unknown components. Does anyone know where I can find challenging vector problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
The vector problems they give you in the book are probably all you'll need to know to do the physics at the level your learning.

I would imagine the next step being cross and dot products for things like torque and work.

Make some up. You can make them as difficult as you want that way.

You can search for "vector" in this forum. For example, here is a recent problem.

Last edited:
Are you only looking for basic pre-calculus vector questions, or also vector calculus? There are some fairly challenging vector calculus problems out there...

We are doing precalc vector problems in class, but I have learned, on my own, concepts of calculus, and some vector concepts taught in the calculus class. Could you point me to a specific topic?

Atomos said:
We are doing vectors in physics, and the only practice problems we have are redundant and simply ones in the book, which go no further than simply calculating the vector components and adding them or solving for unknown components. Does anyone know where I can find challenging vector problems?
Interesting problem here - to derive vector operator~

leon1127 said:
Interesting problem here - to derive vector operator~

Derive vector operator? Well you have the operator "del" and then you have curl and divergence, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean...

1. What are challenging vector problems?

Challenging vector problems are mathematical problems that involve manipulating and analyzing vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. These problems require a deep understanding of vector operations and properties, and often require advanced problem-solving skills.

2. What makes vector problems challenging?

Vector problems can be challenging because they often involve multiple vectors and require complex calculations. They also require a strong understanding of vector concepts, such as dot product, cross product, and vector projections. Additionally, vector problems can be challenging because they often require creative problem-solving strategies.

3. How can I improve my skills in solving challenging vector problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving challenging vector problems is through practice. Work through a variety of problems, starting with simpler ones and gradually increasing the difficulty. You can also seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to help you better understand vector concepts and techniques.

4. Are challenging vector problems important in the field of science?

Yes, challenging vector problems are essential in the field of science, particularly in physics and engineering. Many real-world problems, such as calculating forces and velocities, can be solved using vector techniques. Understanding vector problems is crucial for success in these fields.

5. Can challenging vector problems have real-world applications?

Absolutely! Challenging vector problems often have real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, calculating the trajectory of a projectile or determining the forces acting on a structure both involve solving vector problems. Real-world applications of vector problems can be found in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, and telecommunications.