Need confirmation- Energy and PEgrav

• Thread starter jakeowens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, to raise a 0.9 kg mass 1.5 km into the air using the energy content of beer (1.8e6 J/kg), we would need 13243.5 Joules of energy. This is equivalent to 7.3575 grams of beer, which may seem low but when considering the energy provided per gram (1800.0 J/g), it is sufficient.
jakeowens
The energy content of beer is about 1.8e6 J/kg. If that energy could be turned completely into gravitational PE, how much beer would we need to raise a 0.9 kg mass 1.5 km into the air?

What i did for this, was just used the equation PEgrav=mg*delta H.

so .9kg*9.81m/s^2*1500m =13243.5 kgm^2/s^2.

So i set that =1.8e6J/kg, and divided 13243.5 by 1.8e6, giving me .0073575kg.

So, i need 7.3575 grams of beer correct?

It just seems really low to me so just looking for confirmation.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Not at all. You need 13243.5 Joules of energy, and there is what? 18000000 Joules per kilogram in beer? Looking at the numbers side by side

13243.5 - Needed
1800000 - Provided per kg
1800.0 - Provided per gram
======================

oh alright, thanks :D

I was right, just hadn't thought about it like that.

1. What is energy and how is it related to potential energy?

Energy can be defined as the ability or capacity to do work. Potential energy is a type of energy that an object possesses due to its position or state, and it can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. What factors determine the amount of potential energy an object has?

The amount of potential energy an object has depends on its mass, height, and the strength of the force acting on it. For example, a heavier object at a greater height will have more potential energy than a lighter object at a lower height.

3. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

4. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This occurs when an object is in a state of lower potential energy compared to a reference point. For example, an object at the bottom of a hill has negative potential energy compared to an object at the top of the hill.

5. How is potential energy related to the concept of work?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, and potential energy is one form of energy that can be transferred through work. For example, when an object falls and gains kinetic energy, it is because work was done on the object by the force of gravity, which converted its potential energy into kinetic energy.