1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need double check on Price Elasticity Please

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Need double check on Price Elasticity Please

Question:
    If the price of soda doubles from $1.00 per can to $2.00 per can and you buy the same amount, what is your price elasticity of demand for soda, and is it considered elastic or inelastic.

Formula:
    % of Change in Quantity of Demand / % of Change in Price

Attempt:
    I figure since the demand is the same the formula is 1/.5 = 2.0 So its inelastic correct?

I know this is a stretch on the forum considering its more economics. But this forum never lets me down :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, your demand is perfectly inelastic over that price range. (It might not be perfectly inelastic if it went to a million dollars. :p.)

4. Mar 25, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If "you buy the same amount" why is the "% of Change in Quantity of Demand" equal to 1? I would have thought the change was 0. Also if "If the price of soda doubles from $1.00 per can to $2.00 per can" why is the "% of Change in Price" 0.5? I would have thought it would be 100%.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?