Need help, Activation energy determination from this reaction. Is this possible?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the determination of activation energy from an experiment involving the reaction S2O82-(aq) + 2 I-(aq) -->SO42-(aq) + I2(aq). The speakers discuss their results and note a small difference in temperature, leading to a calculation of the activation energy using the formula Ea = -RT ln (k2/k1). The question of finding the frequency factor A arises and the speakers suggest consulting a chemistry library for help.
himynameis
Need help, Activation energy determination from this reaction. Is this possible??

i did an experiment, i noted the tempreture and found rate constant.
My friend did the same experiment and she found rate constant and noted the tempreture.. The tempreture differs by one degree. Can i calculate tempreture like this...?

S2O82-(aq) + 2 I-(aq) -->SO42-(aq) + I2(aq)

Friend: K1: 0.0594 at t1: 21oC = 294 K
Ours = K2: 0.06 and t2: 22oC. 295 K

In (0.0594 /0.06) = Ea / 8.314 x ( 1/ 294- 1/295 )
-0.01 = Ea / 8.31 x (1.153x10-5)
Ea= 0.01x 8.31 / 1.153x10-5)
Ea = 7207.28 J/mol

= 7.207 KJ mol

Is this possible?

please help me! :( So for this reaction is the Ea 7.207

I would have done Just used my rate constant and tempreture to wwork out Ea but I don't know the Frequency factor A! I can't find this anywhere...

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Your approach looks perfectly sound to me. Not that I believe in the result. 1 deg C is a very low temperature difference, especially for a typical lab thermometer. Think errors/accuracy.

Borek said:
Your approach looks perfectly sound to me. Not that I believe in the result. 1 deg C is a very low temperature difference, especially for a typical lab thermometer. Think errors/accuracy.

Really ? This is my friends results it was done on a different day. The only reason I had to use this method was because I did not know frequency factor. Do you know anywhere I can get frequency factors or known rate constants for particular reactions?

Borek said:

thank you very much for your reply!

himynameis said:
Really ? This is my friends results it was done on a different day.

Doesn't matter. Experimental errors don't care about date.

The only reason I had to use this method was because I did not know frequency factor. Do you know anywhere I can get frequency factors or known rate constants for particular reactions?

They are determined with the same approach you just used. No idea where to look for the data - the best approach I know is to go to the chemistry dept library at University and ask librarian for help.

1. How do you determine the activation energy of a reaction?

To determine the activation energy of a reaction, you can use the Arrhenius equation which relates the rate constant of a reaction to the temperature and activation energy. By measuring the rate of the reaction at different temperatures, you can plot a graph and calculate the activation energy from the slope of the line.

2. Can you determine the activation energy from just one reaction?

No, you need to measure the rate of the reaction at different temperatures in order to calculate the activation energy. This is because the Arrhenius equation requires at least two data points to determine the activation energy.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the activation energy determination?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the activation energy determination include experimental errors, impurities in the reactants, and variations in the reaction conditions.

4. Is there a specific technique or method for determining activation energy?

There are several methods for determining activation energy, including the Arrhenius equation, the Eyring equation, and transition state theory. The choice of method depends on the type of reaction and the available data.

5. Why is it important to determine the activation energy of a reaction?

Determining the activation energy of a reaction is important because it provides information about the rate of the reaction and the energy barrier that must be overcome for the reaction to occur. This can help in understanding and optimizing chemical processes, as well as predicting the behavior of the reaction under different conditions.