Need help diagnosing headlight issue on my vehicle.

• Thread starter BeautifulLight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vehicle
In summary, the conversation covers the topic of troubleshooting a non-functioning driver-side low beam in a vehicle. The individual visits an auto parts store to purchase a new bulb, but it still does not light up. They use a multimeter to check the bulb's resistance, and discuss how this method may not work for all types of lights. They also consider checking the harness and the polarity of the socket. The conversation also touches on whether the vehicle needs to be on or off for testing and the difference between measuring voltage and current. The individual also wonders about the longevity and brightness of light bulbs and how they are affected by resistance and power. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of understanding basic electrical principles when troubleshooting vehicle lighting issues.
BeautifulLight
Driver-side low beam was out so I went to the auto parts store to pick up a new one. Well it still won't light up:(

Using the ohm setting on a multimeter, you can check standard household light bulbs to see whether or not they are defective. Good light bulb = high resistance, since the filament needs to be of high resistance for it to glow. I know this doesn't work for all types of lights (like CFL), but will it work for my light bulbs in my vehicle? They are standard or "OEM" (not HID's).

I'm almost certain I didn't purchase a defective bulb. So now what? Can I check the actual harness in my vehicle? These light bulbs operate on DC, correct? Would I test Volts or Current? Will it matter? I will check the opposing harness for reference, i.e. I'm getting 10mA on my passenger side low beam harness so I should theoretically be getting 10mA on my driver side low beam harness.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You want to check voltage on the socket. Good incandescent bulb is indicated by low resistance --- high is an indication of a broken filament (open circuit).

Will it make a difference whether or not the vehicle is on or off? Perhaps I can just turn the key to accessory position?

I started the vehicle and checked the socket with my multimeter. It gave me a reading of -10.13 Volts. I had the polarity wrong, but I don't think that matters. I noticed the socket was black in color and had shorted out on the chassis of the vehicle. I will call the dealership in the morning for a new socket.

My sibling asked me why it made a difference whether or not I measured the voltage across the socket or measured the current through the socket and I was unable to answer his question. Suppose my previous reading of 10.13 Volts is valid. If resistance is fixed, then there's only one value for current, hence E=IR. I could have measured such value on the opposing (passenger-side) functional socket for reference. If the value was significantly off, then I would have known the voltage was off too ...without ever measuring it.

Is this correct?

And here I thought I had the light bulb figured out, lol. Same applies to electric heaters? Or is this where high resistance comes into play?

If an incandescent light bulb manufacturer made their filaments with greater resistance, then wouldn't they last longer? I believe so, but they wouldn't be as bright, correct? What kind of ratio (longitivity/brightness) do light bulb manufacturers shoot for?

BeautifulLight said:
Will it make a difference whether or not the vehicle is on or off? Perhaps I can just turn the key to accessory position?

Whatever it takes to get the other headlight lit.

BeautifulLight said:
I started the vehicle and checked the socket with my multimeter. It gave me a reading of -10.13 Volts. I had the polarity wrong, but I don't think that matters. I noticed the socket was black in color and had shorted out on the chassis of the vehicle. I will call the dealership in the morning for a new socket.

Should be getting ~ 12

BeautifulLight said:
My sibling asked me why it made a difference whether or not I measured the voltage across the socket or measured the current through the socket and I was unable to answer his question. Suppose my previous reading of 10.13 Volts is valid. If resistance is fixed, then there's only one value for current, hence E=IR. I could have measured such value on the opposing (passenger-side) functional socket for reference. If the value was significantly off, then I would have known the voltage was off too ...without ever measuring it. Is this correct?

The circuit is going to be battery through various accessory switches, fuses, headlight relay, headlight itself (via socket), and to vehicle ground (other battery terminal). Inserting ammeter across that is a short circuit and very high current; all you want to know is whether there is a conducting path, so you're looking at voltage.

BeautifulLight said:
And here I thought I had the light bulb figured out, lol. Same applies to electric heaters? Or is this where high resistance comes into play?

Ohm's Law, E=IR, yeah. Power is what counts for incandescent bulbs, electric heaters, and is EI, I2R or E2/R. Raise the voltage over a constant resistance and you raise the current, or raise current (by raising voltage), or decrease resistance which increases current at constant voltage, to increase power.

BeautifulLight said:
If an incandescent light bulb manufacturer made their filaments with greater resistance, then wouldn't they last longer? I believe so, but they wouldn't be as bright, correct? What kind of ratio (longitivity/brightness) do light bulb manufacturers shoot for?

Automotive systems run at 12 volts, so higher resistance is lower power, brightness. Longevity? It's more a function of how well the filament and envelope seal resist vibration, road shock, and aging. Target life? Anybody's guess.

BeautifulLight said:
My sibling asked me why it made a difference whether or not I measured the voltage across the socket or measured the current through the socket and I was unable to answer his question. Suppose my previous reading of 10.13 Volts is valid. If resistance is fixed, then there's only one value for current, hence E=IR. I could have measured such value on the opposing (passenger-side) functional socket for reference. If the value was significantly off, then I would have known the voltage was off too ...without ever measuring it.
If there is a high resistance contact somewhere in the circuit, you can sometimes find that a meter will show you 12V at the socket with the bulb not there but when you connect the bulb, the volts drop to a low value. (the bulb is acting almost like a short circuit compared with that other resistance in the circuit) If the bulb lights, then you have current (of course) so there isn't much point in measuring it (haha) but, of course, there are other devices that may not perform so obviously as a light bulb and current measurement is sometimes necessary, to reveal a high resistance contact.

BTW, if, as you say, there has been a real 'short' to the chassis, you may well have blown a fuse and you'll need to replace that before your new lamp will work.

1. What could be causing my headlight issue?

There could be several potential causes for your headlight issue, such as a blown fuse, faulty wiring, or a burnt-out bulb. It is best to inspect each of these components to determine the exact cause.

2. How can I diagnose the problem myself?

You can start by checking the fuse box to see if any fuses related to the headlights are blown. Then, inspect the wiring for any visible damage or loose connections. If these are not the issue, try replacing the headlight bulb to see if that solves the problem.

3. Can I fix the issue without going to a mechanic?

In some cases, yes. If the issue is a blown fuse or a faulty bulb, these can be relatively simple fixes that can be done at home. However, if the issue is more complex, it is best to consult a mechanic for proper diagnosis and repair.

4. How do I know if the problem is with the headlight wiring?

If your headlights are flickering or not turning on at all, it could be a sign of faulty wiring. You can check this by inspecting the wiring for any visible damage or using a multimeter to test for continuity.

5. What should I do if I can't figure out the issue?

If you have checked all possible causes and are still unable to diagnose the problem, it is best to take your vehicle to a mechanic. They have the expertise and tools to properly diagnose and fix any headlight issues.