What diode should I use for my motorcycle's dual headlight setup?

• Thread starter tintumat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a diode to light up both xenon headlamps on a motorcycle. The required specifications for the diode are a battery output of 12v, 4A and headlight output of 12v, 35w. The diode should be able to handle 6 amps and be mountable on a heatsink, with the heat sink insulated from ground.
tintumat
I need to know what diode to use for the following spec:

I need to use this for my motorcycle. I have 2 xenon headlamps working on my bike but 1 lamp lits up for low beam and the other for high beam, now I need to light up both which means I've got to use a diode. Need to know which is the best diode for this purpose?

Battery output: 12v, 4A
Headlight output: 12v, 35w
Xenon Ballast input voltage, 9-16v

Engineering news on Phys.org
Post a schematic. If you have a single ballast and two arc lamps you can't run them both.

I have two ballast individually for both the lamps. But when i turn on the low beam one bulb lights up n for the high beam the other bulbs lights up. I need both the bulbs to light up when i turn on High beam. Th e output voltage for the bulb is 12v, 35w.

Attachments

• 1.bmp
    255.5 KB · Views: 453
[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/lamps.PNG

The diode would be carrying about 3 amps, but should be rated for about 6 amps. It would need to be the type you can mount on a heatsink. Insulate the heat sink from ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What diode should I use for my motorcycle's dual headlight setup?

1. What is the purpose of a diode?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to regulate the flow of electricity and to protect components from reverse current.

2. How do I select the correct diode for my circuit?

The correct diode for your circuit depends on several factors such as the desired current and voltage ratings, the type of application, and the operating temperature. It is important to carefully calculate these parameters and select a diode that can handle them.

3. What are the different types of diodes and their applications?

There are several types of diodes, including rectifier diodes, zener diodes, Schottky diodes, and light-emitting diodes (LEDs). Rectifier diodes are used in power supplies, zener diodes in voltage regulation, Schottky diodes in high-frequency circuits, and LEDs in lighting and display applications.

4. How do I determine the maximum reverse voltage for a diode?

The maximum reverse voltage, also known as the breakdown voltage, is the maximum voltage that a diode can withstand before it breaks down and allows current to flow in the reverse direction. This value is specified in the diode's datasheet and should be carefully considered when selecting a diode for a particular circuit.

5. Can a diode be used to convert AC to DC?

Yes, a diode can be used as a rectifier to convert AC (alternating current) to DC (direct current). This is achieved by using a combination of diodes in a circuit known as a diode bridge or full-wave rectifier. The diodes allow the positive half of the AC wave to pass through, effectively converting it to DC.