Need help figuring out what this Maths question means

• Thread starter Hoplite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Means
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the nth roots of 1 and how they satisfy a specific equation. The concept of nth roots and their relationship to polynomial roots is explored, and it is concluded that there are n roots for any given number, just as there are two square roots and four fourth roots.
Hoplite
Hi everybody, this is my first post here.

I got this question, but I don't know what it means:

Fix n ≥ 1. If the nth roots of 1 are w0, w1, w2, . . . , wn−1, show that they satisfy:

(z − w0)(z − w1)(z - w2) · · · (z − wn−1) = z^n − 1

(z and wn are all complex numbers)

What I don't understand is, what does it mean by "nth roots of 1"? :confused:
I think by "roots" it means polynomial roots, but what does it mean to have a root of a number in this context?

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
try this:
let a^n=1
=cis(0+2k*pi) for k=integer
by de-moivres
a=cis(2(k/n)*pi)

there you have the roots, the bth root is probably k=b

Square root of one: [tex] \sqrt{1} = 1^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]

Fourth root of one: [tex] \sqrt[4]{1} = 1^{\frac{1}{4}} [/tex]

etc.

nth root of one: [tex] \sqrt[n]{1} = 1^{\frac{1}{n}} [/tex]

There is more than one nth root i.e. more than one number (call them [itex] z [/itex]) that satisfies the equation:

[tex] z^n = 1 [/tex]

In fact there are exactly "n" of them, just as there are two square roots of one, and four fourth roots of one. Do you see why?

Oops. Thanks, I shouldn't have missed that. I'll put it down to being the beginning of the semester. :redface:

1. What is the problem or equation that needs to be solved?

The problem or equation is the mathematical expression that needs to be solved in order to find a solution or answer.

2. Can you provide more context or information about the problem?

It would be helpful to have more information about the problem, such as the specific instructions or any given values or variables.

3. What math concepts or formulas are involved in the problem?

The problem may involve concepts such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, or calculus, and the solution may require the use of specific formulas or equations related to these concepts.

4. How can I approach solving this problem?

One approach is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps and use known mathematical strategies and techniques to solve each step. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or create equations to represent the problem.

5. Are there any helpful resources or tools that can assist with solving this problem?

There are many resources available, such as online calculators, math websites, textbooks, and tutors, that can provide guidance and assistance in solving math problems.