Need help finding degrees to the right of the forward direct

• Thread starter PhysicsPadawan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary: Think about the directions of the forces and the directions of the components of the resultant force.In summary, the given problem involves two forces, F1 and F2, applied to a car in an effort to move it. Using the equations F=ma and tan-1((731.78y)/(103.33x)), the resultant vector was found to have a magnitude of 774.17 N and an angle of approximately 81.96 degrees to the right of the forward direction. The car, with a mass of 3,000 kg, was found to have an acceleration of 0.244 m/s^2 in the positive y-direction.
PhysicsPadawan

Homework Statement

Two forces are applied to a car in an effort to move it, as shown in the figure below. (Let
F1 = 430 N (10 degrees)
and
F2 = 356 N. (30 degrees)
Assume up and to the right are in the positive directions.)
(a) What is the resultant vector of these two forces?
magnitude=?
° to the right of the forward direction=?
(b)If the car has a mass of 3,000 kg, what acceleration does it have? Ignore friction.

Homework Equations

(430sin(10)) + 356sin(30)=252.67x
(430cos(10)) + 356cos(30)=731.78y
a=(731.78)/(3000)

F=ma
angle = tan-1((731.78y)/(252.67x)) ??[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I got 774.17N for the magnitude and it was correct
For part b I got 0.244 for the acceleration and it was correct
But I can not for the life of me solve for angle to the right of the forward direction
[/B]

Attachments

• physiccar.PNG
    physiccar.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsPadawan said:

Homework Statement

Two forces are applied to a car in an effort to move it, as shown in the figure below. (Let
F1 = 430 N (10 degrees)
and
F2 = 356 N. (30 degrees)
Assume up and to the right are in the positive directions.)
(a) What is the resultant vector of these two forces?
magnitude=?
° to the right of the forward direction=?
(b)If the car has a mass of 3,000 kg, what acceleration does it have? Ignore friction.

Homework Equations

(430sin(10)) + 356sin(30)=252.67x[/B]

This calculation is incorrect. If you look at the diagram, the x-components of each force act in opposite directions, so you can't simply add them together to find the resultant force in the x-direction.

Always indicate units with your calculations.

(430cos(10)) + 356cos(30)=731.78y
a=(731.78)/(3000)

F=ma
angle = tan-1((731.78y)/(252.67x)) ??

These calculations are OK.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I got 774.17N for the magnitude and it was correct
For part b I got 0.244 for the acceleration and it was correct
But I can not for the life of me solve for angle to the right of the forward direction[/B]

If you are still having trouble, make a small sketch of the resultant force vector and F1 and F2. You should be able to find the correct angle once you have calculated the correct x-component of the resultant force.

When I recalculated my x-component of the resultant force I got 103.33 N and an angle of 81.96 degrees.
F2x-F1x= Resultant x-component
(356 N sin(30)) - (430 N sin(10))= 103.33 N
tan-1=((731.78)/(103.33)) = 81.96
would 81.96 be the degrees to the right of the forward direction then that the question is asking for?
Thanks for the clarification and help!

PhysicsPadawan said:
When I recalculated my x-component of the resultant force I got 103.33 N and an angle of 81.96 degrees.
F2x-F1x= Resultant x-component
(356 N sin(30)) - (430 N sin(10))= 103.33 N
tan-1=((731.78)/(103.33)) = 81.96
would 81.96 be the degrees to the right of the forward direction then that the question is asking for?
Thanks for the clarification and help!
Did you draw the resultant and F1 and F2 to see if this calculation is correct?

I think you have calculated the wrong angle.

Does it seem reasonable that the resultant of F1 and F2 would act at almost a right angle to them?

Related to Need help finding degrees to the right of the forward direct

1. What is meant by "degrees to the right of the forward direct"?

"Degrees to the right of the forward direct" refers to the angular distance measured clockwise from the forward direction, which is typically considered to be the direction the observer is facing.

2. How do I determine the degrees to the right of the forward direct?

The degrees to the right of the forward direct can be determined by using a compass or other navigational tool to measure the angle between the observer's current position and the forward direction. This angle will indicate the number of degrees to the right of the forward direct.

3. Why is it important to know the degrees to the right of the forward direct?

Knowing the degrees to the right of the forward direct is important for navigation and orientation purposes. It can help determine the direction and distance to a specific location or object, and can also be useful for following a specific course or path.

4. Are there other methods for determining degrees to the right of the forward direct?

Yes, there are other methods for determining degrees to the right of the forward direct, such as using a sextant, a theodolite, or other specialized instruments. These methods may be more accurate and precise, but may also require more advanced knowledge and training.

5. Can the degrees to the right of the forward direct change?

Yes, the degrees to the right of the forward direct can change depending on the observer's location and orientation. For example, if the observer turns to the left, the degrees to the right of the forward direct will decrease, and if the observer turns to the right, the degrees to the right of the forward direct will increase.