Need help finding frictional force in torque problem

In summary, the problem involves a ladder with a mass of 121 N and a length of 3.4 meters, leaning against a frictionless vertical wall at an angle of 75 degrees with the horizontal. The lower end of the ladder rests on a flat surface with a coefficient of static friction of 0.400. A painter with a mass of 80 kg attempts to climb the ladder and the question is asking for the distance up the ladder at which the ladder will begin to slip. Using torque and frictional force equations, the answer can be found to be 5.6 meters, as shown in a worked out example on page 270 of a textbook.
EmptyMerc

Homework Statement

A ladder having uniform density, a length of 3.4 meters and a weight of 121 N rests against a frictionless vertical wall, making an angle of 75 degrees with the horizontal. The lower end rests on a flat surface, where the coefficient of static friction is Mu = 0.400. A painter having a mass of 80 kg attempts to climb the ladder. How far up the ladder will the painter be when the ladder begins to slip?

Homework Equations

Torque equations and frictional force equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So using the torque equations I got x = [Fwall * 3.4 * sin(75) - 121 * (3.4/2) * sin(165)] / (80 * 9.81 * sin(165)

Where x is the distance from the pivot point and Fwall = Frictional force.

But I think I'm having a problem finding the frictional force.

I know Frictional force = Mu(N) , where N is the normal force of the ground.

So to find N I use the formula 121 + 80(9.81) which equals 905.8 and gives a frictional force of .4(905.8) = 362.32.

But when I plug it in I get x = 5.6 m, which is taller than the ladder and leads me to believe that is not the right way to calculate the frictional force.

So is that the right way to calculate the frictional force, or is there another way?

Help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the algebra before putting the numbers in ... helps with troubleshooting.
Otherwise working out what you are doing involves some pain sifting through the numbers.

A ladder of mass ##M## and length ##L## sits on a horizontal floor with friction coefficient ##\mu## leaning at angle ##\theta## (to the horizontal) against a frictionless vertical wall. A painter-being, mass m, climbs the ladder. We need to know how far, x, along the ladder the being can go without slipping.

So the torque about the floor pivot (say) would be ##\tau=(mx+ML/2)\cos(\theta)## for example... and the force down the length of the ladder towards the floor-pivot would be ##F=(m+M)g\sin(\theta)## ... this force has a component at the pivot that is directly down and another that it horizontal away from the wall.

Try reworking your math this way - it should be clearer.

Yea it is a lot clearer. I still come up with the same answer and judging on how how the book did it I think it is correct now.

Really appreciate the help though!

Yep - sometimes reworking a problem can clear up that feeling of uncertainty.
When you are presenting your working to someone else, it helps them understand you if you use the symbolic/algebraic form rather than the absolute/numerical form. It would have been a lot for work for me to figure out if you'd done it right or not so I just tried to get you to do the work instead :)

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface. It is caused by the irregularities and microscopic bumps on the surfaces that rub against each other.

2. How is frictional force related to torque?

Frictional force is one of the components of torque. When an object is rotating, the frictional force acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the object and creates a torque that slows down or stops the rotation.

3. How do you calculate frictional force in a torque problem?

To calculate frictional force in a torque problem, you need to know the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces in contact and the normal force acting on the object. The frictional force can then be calculated as the product of these two values.

4. What are the units of frictional force?

The units of frictional force are typically measured in Newtons (N) in the SI system and in pounds (lbs) in the imperial system.

5. How does frictional force affect the motion of an object in a torque problem?

Frictional force always acts in the opposite direction of the motion of an object, so it can slow down or stop the rotation of an object in a torque problem. It can also cause an object to slip or slide instead of rotating smoothly.