Need help finding some unknown constants

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constants
In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for x^2 + Bx + A - 4B but is having difficulty because they do not have a x^2 term to work with. They found the factor of 4 that yields a 0 when plugged into the denominator and attempted to split the equation into partial fractions, but are getting it wrong every time.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

I have an integral that I'm trying to split into partial fractions, and I've gotten to an equation but I'm not sure how to solve this one.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

93x+2 = Ax^2 + Bx + A - 4B

I have no idea, because I usually don't have a x^2 term to deal with. I assumed that A should be 0 because of this, but that requires B to equal 93, and for A - 4B to equal 2. So, that's not the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes A = 0

and A - 4B = 2

You know what A is...

How does that work? That means B is - 1/2, and

93x + 2 = -1/2x + 2

Is not true.

flyingpig said:
Yes A = 0

and A - 4B = 2

You know what A is...
And this requires B = -1/2 , but that contradicts B = 93.

So, there appears to be something wrong with the way you obtained your equation: 93x+2 = Ax2 + Bx + A - 4B.

Show us how you came up with that so we can help you.

Okay

[itex]\int \frac{93x+2}{x^{3}-4x^{2}+x-4}dx[/itex]

I factored this by finding the factor of 4 that yields a 0 when plugged into the denominator, which is 4 itself. So I concluded one term is (x-4), and found the other through polynomial long division.

[itex]\int \frac{93x+2}{(x-4)(x^{2}+1)}dx[/itex]

So I then attempted to split this into partial fractions.

[itex]\int \frac{A}{(x-4)}+ \frac{B}{(x^{2}+1)}dx[/itex]

So then

93x + 2 = Ax^2 + A + Bx - 4B

What's wrong with the equation?

That needs to be [itex]\displaystyle \frac{A}{x-4}+ \frac{Bx + C}{x^{2}+1}[/itex]

Oh, ok. Why is that? Because I have a variable in my numerator?

The denominator x2 + 1 is quadratic in x, so the most general numerator is linear in x.

When working it I get:

A = 23.25
B = - A
C = 5.3125

Agree?

No, although, B = -A is correct.

Did you get

93x + 2 = A(x2 + 1) +(Bx +C)(x - 4) ?

Hint: Set x = 4 to find A.

I get

x^2(A+B) + x(C-4B) - 4C + A = 93x + 2

From there, I said that A+B = 0, C-4B = 93, and -4C + A = 2 and I am getting it wrong every time.

What are unknown constants?

Unknown constants are values that are not known or determined yet. They are usually represented by letters or symbols and are used in mathematical equations or scientific formulas.

Why is it important to find unknown constants?

Finding unknown constants is important because it allows us to understand and accurately describe natural phenomena. These constants often play a crucial role in scientific theories and models, and their values can provide valuable insights into the workings of our universe.

How are unknown constants typically found?

Unknown constants can be found through various methods, such as experimentation, observation, and data analysis. Scientists may also use mathematical and statistical techniques to determine the values of unknown constants.

What are some examples of unknown constants?

Some examples of unknown constants include the gravitational constant (G), Planck's constant (h), and the speed of light (c). These constants are used in various scientific disciplines, such as physics, chemistry, and astronomy.

What are the potential implications of not knowing unknown constants?

Not knowing unknown constants can hinder our understanding of natural phenomena and limit our ability to make accurate predictions or develop new technologies. It can also lead to inconsistencies or errors in scientific theories and models.