Need help in Apostol Calculus proof

In summary, the statement is that for every integer n≥0, there exist nonnegative integers q and r such that n= qb+r, 0≤r<b. This can be proven by induction, where the base case of n=0 is easily satisfied. Then, assuming it holds for n, we can show that it also holds for n+1 by adding 1 to both sides of the equation n=qb+r. This shows that the statement holds for all integers n≥0.
zjhok2004
let b denote a fixed positive integer. Prove the following statement by induction: for every integer n≥0, there exist nonnegative integers q and r such that n= qb+r, 0≤r<b.

Can someone help me on how to solve this question? and how does induction works here?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any restrictions on q and b? Otherwise the statement is trivially satisfied by q = n, b = 1, r = 0.

voko said:
Are there any restrictions on q and b? Otherwise the statement is trivially satisfied by q = n, b = 1, r = 0.

I think you have to prove by using induction

voko said:

I don't think you get to choose b.

zjhok2004 said:
Can someone help me on how to solve this question? and how does induction works here?
thank you
You can easily check that it's true for [itex]n = 0[/itex]. Now suppose it's true for [itex]n[/itex], so there exist [itex]q[/itex] and [itex]r < b[/itex] such that [itex]n = qb + r[/itex]. Now consider [itex]n + 1[/itex]. A reasonable first step would be to add 1 to both sides of the equation above:
[tex]n + 1 = qb + r + 1[/tex]
What does this do for you?

1. How do you approach solving Apostol Calculus proofs?

When approaching an Apostol Calculus proof, it is important to first understand the given problem and the concepts involved. Then, break down the proof into smaller, more manageable steps and use logical reasoning to connect them. It is also helpful to refer to previous theorems and definitions to guide your reasoning.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when attempting an Apostol Calculus proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Apostol Calculus proofs include not fully understanding the given problem, skipping steps or making assumptions without proper justification, and using incorrect notation or symbols. It is also important to double check your calculations and reasoning for accuracy.

3. How can I improve my skills in solving Apostol Calculus proofs?

The best way to improve your skills in solving Apostol Calculus proofs is to practice regularly and seek help from your peers or a teacher when needed. It is also helpful to read and fully understand the theorems and concepts related to the proof, and to review and analyze proofs that have been previously solved.

4. How do you know if your Apostol Calculus proof is correct?

To ensure the correctness of your Apostol Calculus proof, you should first check if all the given conditions and assumptions are satisfied. Then, carefully review each step of your proof to ensure that it follows logically from the previous steps. Lastly, you can also ask for feedback from a peer or teacher to confirm the validity of your proof.

5. What resources are available for help with Apostol Calculus proofs?

There are various resources available for help with Apostol Calculus proofs, including textbooks, online forums and communities, tutoring services, and study groups. Your teacher or professor may also be able to provide additional resources or guidance. It is important to utilize these resources to improve your understanding and skills in solving Apostol Calculus proofs.