Need help in deriving this reduction formula

In summary, the homework equation is
hms.tech
It might be difficult for you to read this integral in non latex form, but i'll try my best.
As i don't know how to write this in latex form, assume "for this problem" that I(n) is pronounced as "I subscript n" or nth term of I.

Homework Statement

I(n)=∫ (sinx)^n dx [with limits of the integral as : from zero (0) to ∏/2 (pi/2)

Using the above equation, it is required to prove that :

I(n+2)= I(n) * (n+1)/(n+2) [again , I(n) means I subscript n ie nth term of a sequence]

Homework Equations

the formula for integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to integrate it by parts using various ways but all of them failed to prove the required result.
One of them was :
∫ [sin^-2(x)*(sin(x))^(n+2)] dx [with the same limits ofcourse]

even after subsituting 1-cos^2(x) for sin^2(x) the problem could not be solved,
please help me solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
hms.tech said:
It might be difficult for you to read this integral in non latex form, but I'll try my best.
As i don't know how to write this in latex form, assume "for this problem" that I(n) is pronounced as "I subscript n" or nth term of I.

Homework Statement

I(n)=∫ (sinx)^n dx [with limits of the integral as : from zero (0) to ∏/2 (pi/2)

Using the above equation, it is required to prove that :

I(n+2)= I(n) * (n+1)/(n+2) [again , I(n) means I subscript n ie nth term of a sequence]

Homework Equations

the formula for integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to integrate it by parts using various ways but all of them failed to prove the required result.
One of them was :
∫ [sin^-2(x)*(sin(x))^(n+2)] dx [with the same limits of course]

even after substituting 1-cos^2(x) for sin^2(x) the problem could not be solved,
please help me solve it.
Start with In+2.
Even without LaTeX, you can do SUBSCRIPTS and SUPERSCRIPTS by using the X2 and X2 buttons in the 'Go Advanced' message window.​
[itex]\displaystyle I_{n+2}=\int\sin^{n+2}(x)\,dx=\int(1-\cos^2(x))\sin^{n}(x)\,dx=I_n-\int\cos^2(x)\sin^{n}(x)\,dx[/itex]

Evaluate that last integral using integration by parts.
u=cos(x), dv=cos(x)sinn(x) dx​

1. What is a reduction formula?

A reduction formula is a mathematical technique used to simplify complex expressions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It is often used in integration and differentiation to reduce the number of terms in an equation and make it easier to solve.

2. Why is it important to know how to derive a reduction formula?

Deriving a reduction formula allows us to solve more complex equations and problems by breaking them down into simpler parts. It also helps us to understand the underlying principles and patterns involved, which can be applied to other similar problems.

3. How do you derive a reduction formula?

To derive a reduction formula, you must first identify the pattern in the given equation or problem. Then, use algebraic manipulation and integration or differentiation techniques to simplify the expression. This will result in a formula that can be used to solve the original problem or similar problems.

4. What are some tips for deriving a reduction formula?

Some tips for deriving a reduction formula include: carefully analyzing the given equation or problem to identify patterns, using algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression, and checking your work to ensure the formula is correct and can be applied to other similar problems.

5. Can a reduction formula be used for any type of equation?

No, a reduction formula is typically used for equations that involve repetitive patterns or involve integration or differentiation. It may not be applicable to all types of equations, but it can be a useful tool for solving many mathematical problems.