Need help learning about ballistic trajectory for a game

In summary, the conversation is about two people trying to write a Scorched Earth game clone and are looking for an algorithm to calculate ballistic trajectory, including factors such as gravity and wind. One person has created an algorithm based on a webpage but is unsure about its accuracy. They are seeking guidance on learning more about this topic, and someone recommends a book called "The Physics of Gaming" or "Physics for Game Programmers." Another person directs them to a previous thread and suggests a detailed website that may provide all the necessary information.
sofakng
Me and a friend are trying to write a Scorched Earth game clone and we're trying to figure out an algorithm to calculate ballistic trajectory (factoring in gravity and wind).

I'm not very good at physics what-so-ever, but I've managed to make an algorithm for projectile trajectory (with gravity) from this page but it doesn't factor in wind resistance and I'm not sure the gravity part of the equation is even correct.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on learning about this kind of stuff?

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw book at the bookstore called "The Physics of Gaming" or "Physics for Game Programmers" or something similar to that. It should still be around at any major book store.

why don't you first tell us the equation your using.

sofakng said:
Can anybody point me in the right direction on learning about this kind of stuff?
There've been a couple of previous threads dealing with this. I direct you to this one as the most recent. Part-way down, Pervect has provided a link to a very detailed site that can probably handle all of your questions.

1. What is ballistic trajectory?

Ballistic trajectory is the curved path that an object takes when it is thrown, launched, or projected into the air. It is affected by gravity, air resistance, and the initial velocity of the object.

2. How is ballistic trajectory used in games?

Ballistic trajectory is used in games to simulate the realistic movement of objects, such as bullets or projectiles, in a virtual environment. It adds a level of authenticity and challenge to the gameplay.

3. What factors affect ballistic trajectory?

The factors that affect ballistic trajectory include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, the force of gravity, and air resistance. The weight and shape of the object can also have an impact.

4. How can I calculate ballistic trajectory for my game?

To calculate ballistic trajectory, you will need to use equations from physics, such as the projectile motion equation and the formula for air resistance. You can also use online calculators or game development software that have built-in ballistic trajectory functions.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding ballistic trajectory?

Yes, understanding ballistic trajectory is important in fields such as military and aerospace engineering, where accurate prediction of the path of projectiles and missiles is crucial. It is also used in sports such as archery, golf, and baseball for players to accurately aim and hit their targets.