1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on a proof from baby rudin

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    In Theorem 2.41, the one with the heine borel theorem, I do not understand the second inequality,

|x_n - y| >= |x_0 - y| - 1/n >= 1/2*|x_0 - y| for all but a finite n.

why did the 1/n turn |x_0 - y| into 1/2*|x_0 - y|?

I understand this inequality to be using the triangle inequality to show that if the set S has x_0 as a limit point, then by its definition it cannot contain any other limit points, but I don't get how this inequality was made. If this is true for all but a finite n, then it means that once n becomes big enough, then this inequality is true right? When is n big enough?

Why does the inequality not reduce to just |x_0 - y|, as once n becomes big enough 1/n is just 0.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2
    Isn't |x_0 - y| >= 1/2*|x_0 - y| always?

4. Dec 1, 2008 #3
    Yes, but if the proof was to state that the elements of the set S (that is, x_n for all n) will never get that close to y, then why could he not just eliminate 1/n, since |x_0 - y| is a constant.

Why does the inequality end with 1/2*|x_0 - y|.

My confusion over this leads me to think that I have gotten this proof all wrong.

5. Dec 1, 2008 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a fairly common technique. As n gets large, 1/n becomes small. Eventually, 1/n<= 1/2*|x0 - y|. When 1/n is smaller than that, you get |x_0 - y| - 1/n >= 1/2*|x_0 - y|.

6. Dec 1, 2008 #5
    Why not just modify the proof and eliminate 1/n altogether as n approaches infinity.

Why did rudin choose 1/2?

7. Dec 1, 2008 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1/2 is arbitrary. You can pick anything you want that's less than 1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?