Need help on a proof from baby rudin

• Thread starter samspotting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: The important thing is that 1/n eventually becomes small enough that the inequality holds, and 1/2 is a convenient choice. In summary, in Theorem 2.41, the one with the Heine-Borel theorem, the second inequality is using the triangle inequality to show that if the set S has x_0 as a limit point, then it cannot contain any other limit points. The 1/n term is used to eventually make the inequality true for all but a finite n, and 1/2 is a convenient choice for this purpose. The proof could be modified to eliminate 1/n altogether, but 1/2 is still a valid choice for this technique.
samspotting
In Theorem 2.41, the one with the heine borel theorem, I do not understand the second inequality,

|x_n - y| >= |x_0 - y| - 1/n >= 1/2*|x_0 - y| for all but a finite n.

why did the 1/n turn |x_0 - y| into 1/2*|x_0 - y|?

I understand this inequality to be using the triangle inequality to show that if the set S has x_0 as a limit point, then by its definition it cannot contain any other limit points, but I don't get how this inequality was made. If this is true for all but a finite n, then it means that once n becomes big enough, then this inequality is true right? When is n big enough?

Why does the inequality not reduce to just |x_0 - y|, as once n becomes big enough 1/n is just 0.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Isn't |x_0 - y| >= 1/2*|x_0 - y| always?

Yes, but if the proof was to state that the elements of the set S (that is, x_n for all n) will never get that close to y, then why could he not just eliminate 1/n, since |x_0 - y| is a constant.

Why does the inequality end with 1/2*|x_0 - y|.

My confusion over this leads me to think that I have gotten this proof all wrong.

|x_0 - y| - 1/n >= 1/2*|x_0 - y|

This is a fairly common technique. As n gets large, 1/n becomes small. Eventually, 1/n<= 1/2*|x0 - y|. When 1/n is smaller than that, you get |x_0 - y| - 1/n >= 1/2*|x_0 - y|.

Why not just modify the proof and eliminate 1/n altogether as n approaches infinity.

Why did rudin choose 1/2?

1/2 is arbitrary. You can pick anything you want that's less than 1

1. What is the "baby rudin" proof about?

The "baby rudin" proof is a famous mathematical proof that appears in the book "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin. It involves the construction of a set of real numbers that is not Lebesgue measurable, which contradicts a fundamental theorem in measure theory.

2. What is the difficulty level of the "baby rudin" proof?

The "baby rudin" proof is considered to be at an intermediate to advanced level of difficulty. It requires a solid understanding of real analysis and measure theory concepts.

3. How long does it take to fully understand the "baby rudin" proof?

The time it takes to fully understand the "baby rudin" proof varies for each individual. Some may grasp the concepts quickly, while others may require more time and practice. It is important to approach the proof with patience and a willingness to learn.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding the "baby rudin" proof?

Yes, a strong foundation in calculus, real analysis, and measure theory is necessary to understand the "baby rudin" proof. Familiarity with basic mathematical concepts such as limits, continuity, and integrals is also helpful.

5. How can I improve my understanding of the "baby rudin" proof?

To improve your understanding of the "baby rudin" proof, it is recommended to review the prerequisite concepts and work through practice problems. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a math teacher or tutor who is knowledgeable in real analysis and measure theory.