Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on a proof from baby rudin

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    In Theorem 2.41, the one with the heine borel theorem, I do not understand the second inequality,

|x_n - y| >= |x_0 - y| - 1/n >= 1/2*|x_0 - y| for all but a finite n.

why did the 1/n turn |x_0 - y| into 1/2*|x_0 - y|?

I understand this inequality to be using the triangle inequality to show that if the set S has x_0 as a limit point, then by its definition it cannot contain any other limit points, but I don't get how this inequality was made. If this is true for all but a finite n, then it means that once n becomes big enough, then this inequality is true right? When is n big enough?

Why does the inequality not reduce to just |x_0 - y|, as once n becomes big enough 1/n is just 0.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2
    Isn't |x_0 - y| >= 1/2*|x_0 - y| always?

4. Dec 1, 2008 #3
    Yes, but if the proof was to state that the elements of the set S (that is, x_n for all n) will never get that close to y, then why could he not just eliminate 1/n, since |x_0 - y| is a constant.

Why does the inequality end with 1/2*|x_0 - y|.

My confusion over this leads me to think that I have gotten this proof all wrong.

5. Dec 1, 2008 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a fairly common technique. As n gets large, 1/n becomes small. Eventually, 1/n<= 1/2*|x0 - y|. When 1/n is smaller than that, you get |x_0 - y| - 1/n >= 1/2*|x_0 - y|.

6. Dec 1, 2008 #5
    Why not just modify the proof and eliminate 1/n altogether as n approaches infinity.

Why did rudin choose 1/2?

7. Dec 1, 2008 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1/2 is arbitrary. You can pick anything you want that's less than 1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?