How Do You Calculate the Potential of a Simple Quadrupole Using Point Dipoles?

• Thread starter meteorologist1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary: No, I believe if you do the expansion with V for the dipole, then the dipole term will be your answer. The monopole term should come out to zero.
meteorologist1
I need help on how to do this problem: Carry out the calculation on the simplest quadrupole: Two point dipoles are oppositely oriented along the z-axis, separated by distance a. The potential due to one dipole is V = (p cos(theta) / (4pi epsilon r^2). The result I should get for the quadrupole is: V = a p (3 cos^2(theta) - 1) / (4 pi epsilon r^3).

I may need to use tensors in here, but I don't know how to use them. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes and no, quadrupole expansion requires a little bit tensors, but in your problem, you don't

add up the potential of two dipole, and ignore the r^4 terms, you will get the answer, the calculation is straight forward. nothing tricky, you could able to handle them

PS.. always draw the graph first... the graph helps a lot

Do you know the procedure used to derive the potential of a dipole? Use the exact same procedure here... except that instead of using V=q/(4*pi*epsilon*r^2) (potential of a point charge), you'll instead use the V formula for a dipole.

It involves Taylor series...

My book uses Legendre polynomials to do the expansion for the potential of N point charges, and it produces a monopole term, dipole term, and quadrupole term... But I'm still not very clear what's going on. Are you saying if I do this multipole expansion using the V for the dipole, the resulting quadrupole term will be the answer? Thanks.

meteorologist1 said:
My book uses Legendre polynomials to do the expansion for the potential of N point charges, and it produces a monopole term, dipole term, and quadrupole term... But I'm still not very clear what's going on. Are you saying if I do this multipole expansion using the V for the dipole, the resulting quadrupole term will be the answer? Thanks.

No, I believe if you do the expansion with V for the dipole, then the dipole term will be your answer. The monopole term should come out to zero. I'm not familiar with Legendre polynomials... but I'm guessing it's like Taylor series... Not that the two dipoles have opposite p. p1=-p2.

I just realized since for this particular case there is a r^2 in the denominator as opposed to r in the general case, the expansion won't produce Legendre polynomials. I have to figure out how to do this expansion from scratch -- I will try Taylor series to see if it works.

1. What is a quadrupole potential?

A quadrupole potential is a type of electric potential that is created by four equal and opposite charges arranged in a specific geometric pattern. It is commonly used in physics and chemistry to describe the interactions between charged particles.

2. How is the quadrupole potential calculated?

The quadrupole potential is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r^2, where V is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance between the particle and the center of the quadrupole.

3. What is the significance of the quadrupole potential in molecular systems?

The quadrupole potential plays a crucial role in determining the stability and behavior of molecules. It affects the orientation and alignment of molecules, as well as the strength of intermolecular interactions.

4. How is the quadrupole potential related to the electric dipole moment?

The electric dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule. The quadrupole potential is closely related to the electric dipole moment, as it describes the interactions between multiple charges in a system.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the quadrupole potential?

Yes, the quadrupole potential has several practical applications. It is used in mass spectrometry to analyze the structure of molecules and in nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy to study the electronic properties of molecules. It is also utilized in the design of particle accelerators and in the development of new materials for electronics and energy storage.