1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help on solving a RL circuit with switch

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    tLfeD.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Find v(t) for t < 0 and t > 0 in the circuit.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to find the i through the inductor for both t=0- and t=infinity, but I did not get the same result as the answer given in the txtbook which is 96e-4t V. According to the answer given from the txtbk, if I'm not wrong, i(t) shud be i(t)=48e-4t A, and then to find v at the 2 ohm resistor, i(t) X 2 and u get v(t).

I do not really understand why, I've been on this qn for 1 hr and stil can't understand it.
    Please help and thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What's I_o?

4. Mar 5, 2010 #3
    Io is I0, the value should be calculated when t=o-

5. Mar 5, 2010 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's a bit confusing for me, but to clarify... So the switch is opened at t=0? And right before then, there is 1*I_o flowing to the left, and 3*I_o flowing to the right? To add up to the 4*I_o that is supplied by the dependent current source in the middle?

6. Mar 5, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think the idea is that at t=0, the 3-ohm branch is disconnected and the 8-ohm branch is connected. The controlled source is a voltage source since it has the + and - signs in it, not an arrow.

I noticed there's a little o symbol right below the arrow for current i. Is that significant?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook