Expert Tips for Choosing the Perfect Motor - Maximize Your Design's Performance

In summary, the speaker is having trouble selecting a motor to move a load of 0.5 lbs at 500 rpm with a power supply of 1.2 A and 12VDC. They have attempted to calculate the required horsepower but are unsure if their method is correct. They are seeking advice on selecting the appropriate motor.
Kristafer
Hello, I am working on a design, and I am having trouble selecting a motor. I will be able to supply 1.2 A and 12VDC, and I need the motor to be able to move a load of 0.5 lbs at 500 rpm. So far, I tried calculating torque (based on F=ma and T=Fr, r=1.06 in in this case). Then I used HP= (T*omega)/5252 to get a required Horsepower of 0.5. But I feel like this is wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Move a load of 0.5 lbs at what speed, or should that be a load torque of 0.5 ft lbs at 500 rpm == 0.047601 horsepower ~= 35.5 watts. Input power is 1.2A x 12 V = 14.4 watts, so you'll need a bigger power supply.

Kristafer said:
I will be able to supply 1.2 A and 12VDC, and I need the motor to be able to move a load of 0.5 lbs at 500 rpm.

As rcgldr said.. There is an issue with your units.

It takes power to accelerate a flywheel but the only power required to spin a 0.5lbs flywheel at a constant 500rpm is the power required to overcome losses (such as friction and/or air resistance).

1. What factors should I consider when selecting a motor?

When selecting a motor, you should consider the power requirements, speed and torque specifications, size and weight limitations, and the type of load the motor will be powering. Other important factors include the operating environment, efficiency, and cost.

2. How do I determine the power requirements for my motor?

To determine the power requirements, you need to know the power and speed required by the load. You can calculate the power by multiplying the torque requirement by the speed. Make sure to factor in any variations in speed or torque that may occur during operation.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC motors?

AC (alternating current) motors are powered by electricity that changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) motors are powered by electricity that flows in one direction. AC motors are typically used for larger industrial applications, while DC motors are often used in smaller devices and appliances.

4. Should I choose a brushed or brushless motor?

Brushed motors use brushes to deliver current to the motor, while brushless motors use electronic commutation. Brushless motors tend to be more efficient, have a longer lifespan, and require less maintenance. However, brushed motors are often more affordable and easier to control.

5. How do I determine the appropriate size of motor for my application?

The size of the motor you need will depend on the power and torque requirements of your load, as well as any size and weight limitations. It is important to carefully consider these factors and choose a motor that can handle the demands of your application without being oversized, as this can lead to inefficiency and unnecessary costs.