Need help solving an exact differential equation

In summary, the given differential equation is solved by finding the partial derivative of the function with respect to x and y, integrating each and setting them equal to the given terms in the equation. After finding the function, it can be checked by taking the partial derivatives again and setting them equal to the original terms. The final solution is x^2y^3+y.
hachi_roku

Homework Statement

solve 2xy^3+(1+3x^2y^2)dy/dx=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first i made sure this is exact by finding the partial on m with respect to y and the partial of n with respect to x. it is exact.

next i integrate M with respect to x...i get x^2y^3+g(y)

next i take the partial with respect to y and get 3x^2y^2+g'(y)

now this is were I am not sure if I am doing it right.

i set this equal to N(x,y) so i get g'(y) = 1 then integrate to get g(y) = y

my answer is x^2y^3+y but I am not sure. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
bump...anyone?

hachi_roku said:

Homework Statement

solve 2xy^3+(1+3x^2y^2)dy/dx=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first i made sure this is exact by finding the partial on m with respect to y and the partial of n with respect to x. it is exact.

next i integrate M with respect to x...i get x^2y^3+g(y)
For the next line, don't you want to integrate N with respect to y?
hachi_roku said:
next i take the partial with respect to y and get 3x^2y^2+g'(y)

now this is were I am not sure if I am doing it right.

i set this equal to N(x,y) so i get g'(y) = 1 then integrate to get g(y) = y

my answer is x^2y^3+y but I am not sure. please help

i thought you only had to do one?
if i integrate N with respect to y, i get y+x^2y^3

hachi_roku said:
i thought you only had to do one?
if i integrate N with respect to y, i get y+x^2y^3
No, you have to do both.
When I integrate N with respect to y, I get something different, namely y + x2y3 + h(x), which is different from what you show. That h(x) is somewhat like the constant of integration that you're supposed to add on when you do an indefinite integral.

In your earlier work, you have f(x, y) = x2y3 + g(y), where g is a function of y alone.
In my work, I have f(x, y) = y + x2y3 + h(x).

Now we have to reconcile these two views of f(x, y). The g(y) you showed has to be equal to y. The h(x) that I show doesn't show up in the other view of f(x, y), so h(x) = 0.

This means that f(x, y) = x2y3 + y.

You can check this by taking both partials: fx should be equal to M = 2xy3, and fy = N = 1 + 3x2y.

Finally, your differential equation amounts to this:
df(x, y) = 0
I.e., the total derivative of f(x, y) = 0

If the derivative of some function = 0, what can you say about that function?

1. What is an exact differential equation?

An exact differential equation is a type of differential equation where the solution can be obtained by using a set of mathematical rules and operations, without the need for any additional assumptions or approximations.

2. How do I know if a differential equation is exact?

To determine if a differential equation is exact, you can use the method of checking for exactness. This involves checking if the partial derivatives of the equation are equal, and if so, the equation is exact.

3. What is the process for solving an exact differential equation?

The process for solving an exact differential equation involves finding an integrating factor, which is a function that when multiplied by the original equation, makes it exact. After finding the integrating factor, you can then solve the equation using standard integration techniques.

4. Are there any tips for solving exact differential equations?

Some tips for solving exact differential equations include checking for exactness, finding an integrating factor, and being familiar with common integration techniques. It can also be helpful to practice solving different types of exact differential equations to become more comfortable with the process.

5. Can exact differential equations be solved using software or calculators?

Yes, there are several software programs and online calculators that can solve exact differential equations. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in solving these equations, as the software or calculator may not always provide the most accurate or efficient solution.