Need help solving an quartic equation.

• Thread starter Student4
  • Start date
In summary, the first root of the quadratic equation is z= √(1+i√3), the second root is z= √(1-i√3), and the third root is z= √(1-i√3).
Student4
Hi.

Homework Statement

Find the four roots of:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39371&stc=1&d=1317233718

Homework Equations

Calculus: p.6 Polynomials and Rational functions

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty much stuck on starting it. I can't really find a way to start factoring it.

Attachments

• mathproblem.bmp
    25.2 KB · Views: 687
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using a substitution to turn it into a quadratic.

hi spamiam, thanks for fast reply. Could you just show me fast how to get this one down to quadratic, only if you have time ofc. Have done similar equations with substitution, but this spesific one i can't get my head around.

Concerning spamiam's suggestion, keep in mind that z4 can be written as ( z2 )2 ...

Let u = z2 or u = z2 - 1

so;

(z²)²-2z²+4=0 and let u=z²

u²-2u+4=0

u= 1+i√3 and u= 1-i√3

And i find z

z²= 1+i√3 and z²= 1-i√3

z= √(1+i√3), z= -√(1+i√3), z= √(1-i√3), z=√(1-i√3)

is this correct? i think the answer shud be more simplified

If you write the result in Cartesian form (a + ib), you won't be able to "simplify" this much. Do you know how to write complex numbers in polar form? You could then get "simpler" expressions using DeMoivre's Theorem.

dynamicsolo is right, polar form is much cleaner, especially if you note that [itex] \frac{1\pm i\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex] are primitive sixth roots of unity and can be written [itex]e^{\frac{2 \pi i}{6}}[/itex] and [itex]e^{2 \pi i\frac{5}{6}}[/itex].

Hi, dynamicsolo, yes shud know it, but just started my course so I am abit new to polar form. I need to find modulus and argument of the complex number first right?

Last edited:
Complex numbers can be depicted as points in the plane. Just draw yourself a triangle: the real axis is horizontal, and the imaginary is vertical. This gives you a triangle with what side lengths? Then the modulus is just the length of the hypotenuse, and the argument is the angle between the hypotenuse and the horizontal axis.

But for this problem #2 and #4 have as near told you what to do as anyone could without writing out your work for you.

Still abit confused

First root z= √(1+i√3)
simplifed with polarform and DeMoivre's Theorem:

modulus: √(1^2 + √3^2 ) = 2
argument: tan = √3/1 = pi/3

and polarform w=( 2*(cos(pi/3) + i sin(pi/3) )^1/2 ,and then with the theorem i can write: √2 (cos(1/2*pi/3) + i sin(1/2*pi/3))

And then i get: √6/2 + i*√2/2 as my first root.

but for next root z= -√(1+i√3) i have a problem. What do i do when i have -√?

either i plug that in at the end and get same as first root just -(root 1)

or i switch operator z= -√(1+i√3) -> z= √(1-i√3), but then i get same root as my 3th root z= √(1-i√3)Any tip what to do?:)

Last edited:

1. What is a quartic equation?

A quartic equation is a polynomial equation of degree four, meaning that the highest exponent in the equation is four. It can be written in the form ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx + e = 0, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do I solve a quartic equation?

There are several methods for solving quartic equations, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. However, quartic equations can also be solved using numerical methods or computer software.

3. What is the difference between a quartic equation and a quadratic equation?

The main difference between a quartic equation and a quadratic equation is the degree of the polynomial. A quadratic equation has a degree of two, while a quartic equation has a degree of four. This means that a quartic equation can have up to four solutions, while a quadratic equation can only have two.

4. Can all quartic equations be solved?

No, not all quartic equations can be solved using traditional algebraic methods. Some quartic equations may have complex or imaginary solutions, while others may have no real solutions at all.

5. How are quartic equations used in science?

Quartic equations are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics, to model and solve real-world problems. They can also be used to analyze and predict the behavior of systems with four variables or factors.