Need help solving this trapezoidal problem

• Thread starter Trey Chandler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculas
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving conversions between gallons and cubic inches. The participants also discuss equations and functions related to the problem and the correct approach for solving it. The concept of increment and its impact on the semi circle height function is also brought up.
Trey Chandler
Homework Statement
Shown below is a cylindrically shaped fuel tank of diameter D and length L, filled to a variable depth h. The volume of the fuel is calculated by measuring the depth (h) of the fuel in the tank in inches. Perform this calculation using the Trapezoid Method. Plug in the values given to you (in a separate file) to find the volume, measured in gallons.

My values are D = 12(ft), L = 20(ft), h = 91(in)
Relevant Equations
x^2 + y^2 = r2
Annotation 2020-04-15 181431.png

Annotation 2020-04-15 1814399.png

This is my attempt at the problem I'm pretty sure the answer is supposed to be in gallons but I don't know what I'm doing clearly.
IMG_2073.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like your answer is in units of cubic inches. One gallon = 231 cu. inches.

I am not able to follow your calculation. E.g. I see the equation ##y=\sqrt{36-x^2}+h## but cannot see what definition of x and y would make that correct.
Please define x and y, and develop your equations purely algebraically. Avoid plugging in numbers until the final step.

Your height function is wrong I think. Here's a clearer drawing of your situation.
Untitled.png
Do you think that you're always adding that increment to the semi circle height function? What about near the its endpoints where it becomes curved?

1. What is a trapezoidal problem?

A trapezoidal problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area or perimeter of a trapezoid, which is a four-sided polygon with two parallel sides.

2. How do I solve a trapezoidal problem?

To solve a trapezoidal problem, you need to know the formula for finding the area or perimeter of a trapezoid. This formula is A = ((a + b)/2) * h, where a and b are the lengths of the two parallel sides and h is the height of the trapezoid.

3. What information do I need to solve a trapezoidal problem?

To solve a trapezoidal problem, you will need to know the lengths of the two parallel sides and the height of the trapezoid. If any of these measurements are missing, you will not be able to solve the problem.

4. Can I use the same formula to solve any trapezoidal problem?

Yes, the formula for finding the area or perimeter of a trapezoid can be used for any trapezoidal problem, as long as you have the necessary measurements.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions for solving trapezoidal problems?

One special case is when the trapezoid is actually a rectangle, in which case the formula for finding the area simplifies to A = b * h, where b is the length of the base and h is the height. Another exception is when the trapezoid is isosceles, meaning that the non-parallel sides are equal in length, in which case the formula for finding the area simplifies to A = (b^2 * h)/4, where b is the length of the base and h is the height.