Finding Velocity and Maximum Height in Projectile Motion

• Thread starter SpeedeRi2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the object reaches its maximum height at time t=0.4587s. Its velocity at the maximum height is zero.
SpeedeRi2
Any help will be appreciated! :rofl:

An object is fired upward at a speed of 3.000 m/s at t= 0.0000s. It reaches its maximum height at time t. What is its velocity at the maximum height?
Assuming that g= -9.81 m/s/s, calculate the maximum height reached in meters: Calculate the time, t, at maximum height:

Physics news on Phys.org
This should go in the homwork help section. Can you show us what you've done so far to tackle it? Also, the first question you should be able to answer without doing anything. Think about it; it has reached its maximum height. There must be some reason why it does not go up any farther than that. What does this say about the velocity at that instant?

The second part simply involves applying one of the kinematic formulas for objects moving under constant acceleration.

well i started it from looking at my notes, this is a hs physics problem, bu ti think u should find the average velocity and and t. I am not exactly sure, physics confuses me!

V(F)2 = V(I)2 + 2AD OR D= v(I)T + 1/2AT2
not exactly sure scatter-brained!

Oh, ok...

Well, for the first part, what I was hinting at was that it starts off with an upward velocity, but there is a downward force slowing...it...down...to the point that eventually it ceases to move upward. At that instant, it's upward velocity is completely gone i.e. it has stopped. So the velocity at maximum height is zero. However, the gravitational force is still acting on it, accelerating it downward. So it's velocity will begin to increase in the opposite direction (downward). Is the situation intuitive now?

As for the second part. The key strategy for these kinematics problems is to list what information you have been given. What info have you been given? Read the problem:

Given:

vi = 3.000 m/s

vf = 0

a = g = -9.81m/s2

Now, have you been given the time required for the object to reach max height? No. In fact, you are asked to solve for it! So, you cannot use the second formula, can you? However, do you have enough info to use the first formula to solve for d?

And once you have d, do you have enough info use the 2nd formula to solve for t?

Try equating the initial kinetic energy with its potential energy at the maximum height... 0.5*m*v^2 = m*g*h ...Am I giving too much away, here? ;)

ok so i used 1st formula got .4587 for d? doesn't seem right! then put in givens for second equation and stuck! I don't know if I am solving this correctly!

0.4587 = 3.000t -4.905(t)squared -where do i go from there if that's even
correct!?

"ok so i used 1st formula got .4587 for d? doesn't seem right!"

It is. The method I suggested gets the same answer: 0.5*m*v^2 = m*g*h, (0.5*9)/9.81 = 0.459 m

"0.4587 = 3.000t -4.905(t)squared -where do i go from there if that's even
correct!?"

It's correct. Next...Hint: x = [-b +- sqrt(b^2 - 4*a*c)]/(2*a)

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is velocity different from speed?

While velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while speed does not. For example, a car traveling at 60 mph north has a different velocity than a car traveling at 60 mph south.

How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement of an object by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

What units are used to measure velocity?

The units used to measure velocity are distance over time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

Why is velocity important in science?

Velocity is an important concept in science because it helps us understand the motion of objects and how they change over time. It is used in many fields of science, including physics, biology, and engineering.