Need help with a Differentiation Question

In summary, the conversation is about differentiating the function f(x)=xxln(3x-6) by using a substitution of a=xx and differentiating implicitly. The final answer is f'(x)=(ln(x)+1)(ln(3x-6))(xx)+(xx/(x-2)). Both methods used, with and without substitution, result in the same answer.
Sky.Anthony

Homework Statement

Differentiate f(x) if f(x)=xxln(3x-6)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem in f(x) is the xx so what I did was let a=xx and differentiated a with respect to x. I ended up with da/dx= (ln(x)+1)xx. Afterwards, I modified f(x) by substituting a for xx and ended up with f(x)=aln(3x-6) and differentiated that equation which gives me: f'(x)=(ln(x)+1)(ln(3x-6))(xx)+(xx/(x-2)).

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Sky.Anthony :D,

Yeh that looks good to me, now I am not sure how you did

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(x^x)[/tex]​

Im quessing as you let a=xx you did ln(a) = xln(x) and differentiated implicitly. However another way of doing this is considering

[tex]x^x = e^{ln(x^x)} = e^{xlnx}[/tex]​

although you may have done it that way anyway, and of course one can come to this result from the previous, in fact that's probably how its supposed to be done, but just in case you didn't, its a lovely little gem I feel :D

Hey, thanks for your reply.

Once I got a=xx, I differentiated implicitly...
ln(a) = x ln(x)
da/dx 1/a = [ ln(x)+1 ]
da/dx = xx (ln(x)+1)

And then in the original function f(x)= a ln (3x-6), once I had to differentiate a, I just substituted in da/dx. I'm just curious, when you said that my answer looks good, did you mean that I am working through the problem correctly or did you mean that my answer was correct? The reason I'm asking is that the answer to this question will determine whether I get 50% for this part in my assignment or 100% :)

Hey Sky.Anthony,

Sorry, i did mean the answer you worked out was correct, the way you did it is perfectly fine, using a substitution certainly makes the differentiating the function easier somewhat as one doesn't have to deal with long complex expression, but without using a substitution as you did, you could do:

[tex]\begin{array}{rcl}
\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(x^{x}ln(3x-6)\right)&=&\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(e^{xlnx}ln(3x-6))\\\\
&=&\displaystyle e^{xlnx}\frac{d}{dx}\left(ln(3x-6)\right) + ln(3x-6)\frac{d}{dx}(e^{xlnx})\\\\
&=&\displaystyle e^{xlnx}\frac{3}{3x-6} + ln(3x-6)\frac{d}{d xlnx}(e^{xlnx})\frac{d}{dx}(xlnx)\\\\
&=&\displaystyle e^{xlnx}\frac{1}{x-2} + e^{xlnx}ln(3x-6)\left(x\frac{d}{dx}(lnx) + lnx\frac{d}{dx}(x)\right)\\\\
&=&\displaystyle \frac{e^{xlnx}}{x-2} + e^{xlnx}ln(3x-6)\left(x\left(\frac{1}{x}\right) + lnx\right)\\\\
&=&\displaystyle \frac{x^x}{x-2} + x^x(1 + lnx)ln(3x-6)
\end{array}
[/tex]​

which is exactly what you have got :D, so hopefully you can see in that the application of the various rules; chain and product, but as long as you understand how you got to your answer that's the important thing, cheers Sky.Anthony :D

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks so much :)

What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function. It involves calculating the slope of a curve at a specific point.

Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and understand how it changes over time. It is also a fundamental tool in calculus and is used in various fields of science and engineering.

What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation is the process of finding the slope of a function, while integration is the process of finding the area under a curve. In simple terms, differentiation is about finding the rate of change, while integration is about finding the total change.

What are the basic rules of differentiation?

The basic rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules are used to calculate the derivative of a function and make the process of differentiation more efficient.

How can I improve my differentiation skills?

To improve your differentiation skills, it is important to practice regularly and understand the basic rules and concepts. You can also use online resources and textbooks to learn more advanced techniques and strategies for solving differentiation problems.