Need help with a problem solving question

In summary, to find the value of k for two parallel lines, put both equations into y=mx+b form and compare the slopes. The value of k will be the same for both equations.
Bcogswell

Homework Statement

Two lines given by the following pair of equations. If the lines are parallel, find the value of k.

Y-kx = -5x+9 Y+2x = 4(kx-2)

Homework Equations

Im not exactly sure what i need to do this.

The Attempt at a Solution

Like i said above, I'm not sure what i have to do to figure this out? At first i was thinking comparison but i don't think that's going to work.

This question is for a problem solving assignment our teacher gave us, so she never really taught us a strategy for it.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If two lines are parallel, they have the same slope. Try putting both equations into the form y=mx+b so that you can easily compare the two slopes...what values of k are they equal for?

Thanks, ill try that!

What is the first step in problem solving?

The first step in problem solving is to clearly define the problem. This means understanding and identifying the issue, its cause, and its impact.

How do I come up with a solution to a problem?

To come up with a solution, it is important to gather as much information as possible about the problem. Then, brainstorm multiple potential solutions and evaluate each one based on its feasibility, effectiveness, and potential impact.

What is the importance of breaking down a problem into smaller parts?

Breaking down a problem into smaller parts helps to make it more manageable and easier to solve. It allows you to focus on one aspect at a time and can reveal underlying issues that may not have been apparent when looking at the problem as a whole.

How do I know if my solution is effective?

An effective solution is one that successfully addresses the problem and its underlying causes. It should also be feasible, practical, and have a positive impact on the overall situation. It is important to evaluate the results of the solution and make any necessary adjustments.

What are some common problem solving strategies?

Some common problem solving strategies include trial and error, brainstorming, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, and seeking advice or input from others. It is important to choose a strategy that best fits the specific problem at hand.