Need help with a series (radius, convergence)

In summary, the series has a radius of convergence of 1/4 and will converge absolutely inside the interval (-1/4, 1/4). The behavior at the endpoints (-1/4 and 1/4) will need to be checked separately to determine if it converges absolutely, conditionally, or not at all.
dmitriylm

Homework Statement

Find the series' radius and interval of convergence. What what value of x does the series converge absolutely, conditionally?

Sum (n=0 to infinity) (nx^n)/((4^n)((n^2) +1)))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not quite sure where to start with this. I've been having trouble with series in this course because its not as straightforward as all the other problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
haven't tried it, but would start with a ratio test

I was taught to start these problems with the ratio test. Then when you take the limit as n approaches infinity you can factor out the x. If the limit is 0 the radius is infinity and if the limit is infinity the radius is 0. If it it a number (c) you can multiply it by the x you factored out and set up the inequality -1<CX<1. Then solve for x and find if it converges at the endpoints by putting them in the initial sum and using any convergence test you wish, this will give you the radius of convergence.

Doing the ratio test and checking for the limit I found the limit to be x/4. Where do I go from there?

-1<x/4<1 so to solve for x multiply everything by 4 which gives -4<x<4 so the interval is -4,4 but we don't know if it is a closed or opened interval. To determine this plug -4 in for x in the original series and find if it converges or diverges if it converges it will be a bracket on the -4 if it diverges it is a parenthesis then do the same for 4.

however i tried it real quick and got 4x not x/4. I could be wrong but it might be worth a double check.

and you will nee dto check the boundary individually as teh ration test does not apply for a ratio of 1

DCASH88 said:
however i tried it real quick and got 4x not x/4. I could be wrong but it might be worth a double check.
No, you are correct. The radius of convergence is 1/4, not 4.

The series will converge absolutely inside the radius of converge, -1/4< x< 1/4. It may converge absolutely, conditionally, or not converge at x= -1/4 and/or x=1/4. Those will have to be checked separately.

1. What is the radius of convergence for a power series?

The radius of convergence for a power series is a value that determines the interval of x-values for which the series will converge. It is typically denoted by the letter R and can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test.

2. How do I determine if a power series converges or diverges?

To determine if a power series converges or diverges, you can use the ratio test or the root test. If the limit of the absolute value of the ratio or root is less than 1, the series will converge. If the limit is greater than 1, the series will diverge. If it is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test may need to be used.

3. Can a power series have a radius of convergence of 0?

Yes, a power series can have a radius of convergence of 0. This means that the series will only converge at the center point and will diverge for all other x-values.

4. How can I find the sum of a convergent power series?

To find the sum of a convergent power series, you can use the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series. This formula is S = a / (1 - r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. You can substitute in the values for a and r from the power series to find the sum.

5. Can a power series converge for all x-values?

Yes, a power series can converge for all x-values. This means that the radius of convergence is infinite, and the series will converge for any value of x. This is known as a power series with a radius of convergence of infinity.