How Can I Use Actual Data to Calculate the Barometric Formula Correctly?

• Thread starter seasnake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary: Just be sure to check the validity and reliability of the sources you use. In summary, The conversation discusses the use of Equation Two from the Wiki page on Barometric Formula and the need for actual data to understand how the formula works. The speaker also asks for clarification on the variables P, h, h_b, and L_b, and questions the possibility of a negative P value and the meaning of the exponential power in the equation. It is recommended to consult an expert or reliable online resources for further understanding.
seasnake
I am trying to work with Equation Two from the Wiki page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometric_formula using the figures in the table provided on the page.

The problem is that the table does not contain values for all the variables such as for P and values for h (and perhaps other variables in the exponential power, namely L_b).

I would like to be able to calculate the formula using actual data. If someone can help me find actual data information for the formulas so I can understand how the formula works, I'd appreciate it. Website addresses explaining the equations way better than Wiki does would be appreciated if they aptly display the numbers used and show the mathematics.

I need help with is understanding the following:

1. is it possible (allowed) for P to be negative;
2. is h always larger, or smaller, than h_b;
3. what is the difference between h and h_b (I dont' quite understand what h_b is);
4. is L_b constant if M, R*, and L_b are defined as constants

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
;5. what does the exponential power of the equation mean?To answer these questions, it is best to consult an expert in atmospheric sciences or meteorology, as they will be most familiar with the equations and concepts used in barometric formulas. Alternatively, you may be able to find some resources online that explain these concepts in greater detail.

Hello,

I can understand your confusion and need for clarification on the barometric formulas. Let me try to address your questions one by one.

1. It is not possible for P (pressure) to be negative in the barometric formulas. Pressure is always a positive quantity and is usually measured in units of pascals (Pa).

2. The values for h (altitude) and h_b (base altitude) can vary depending on the location and conditions. In general, h_b is the altitude at which the pressure is measured and h is the altitude at which the formula is being applied. So, h can be larger or smaller than h_b depending on the specific situation.

3. h_b is the base altitude or reference altitude at which the pressure is measured. It is important to have a reference altitude because the pressure decreases with altitude and the barometric formulas take this into account. So, h_b is used as a reference point to calculate the pressure at different altitudes.

4. L_b is a constant in the barometric formulas and is also known as the scale height. It represents the rate at which pressure decreases with altitude. This value can vary depending on the location and conditions, but for a specific location it can be considered constant.

I would recommend looking for resources on atmospheric physics or meteorology to better understand the barometric formulas. Some good websites to start with are:

- https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/wxcalc/pressureAltitude.pdf
- https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/how-weather-works/pressure
- https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/atmosmet.html

These websites explain the equations in more detail and provide examples of how to use them with actual data. I hope this helps and feel free to ask any further questions if needed. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the formula for calculating atmospheric pressure?

The formula for calculating atmospheric pressure is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the air, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the column of air.

2. How do I convert barometric pressure from one unit to another?

To convert barometric pressure from one unit to another, you can use the following conversion factors: 1 atmosphere (atm) = 760 millimeters of mercury (mmHg) = 1013.25 hectopascals (hPa) = 14.7 pounds per square inch (psi).

3. What is the standard sea-level pressure?

The standard sea-level pressure is 1013.25 hPa or 29.92 inches of mercury (inHg). This is the average pressure at sea level in the Earth's atmosphere.

4. How does temperature affect barometric pressure?

Temperature has a direct effect on barometric pressure. As temperature increases, the air molecules gain more energy and move faster, causing them to exert more pressure on their surroundings. This results in a higher barometric pressure. On the other hand, colder temperatures lead to lower barometric pressures.

5. How can I use barometric formulas to predict the weather?

Barometric formulas can be used to make weather predictions by monitoring changes in air pressure. A decrease in air pressure usually indicates an upcoming storm or bad weather, while an increase in air pressure often means clear skies and fair weather. Additionally, changes in air pressure can also indicate shifts in wind patterns, which can be helpful in predicting weather patterns.