Why Does a Car Behave Erratically When Its Back Brakes Are Locked?

In summary, the conversation discusses how the speaker registered with a website and found it to be incredible. They then ask for help with a physics question and someone provides a link with notes that may be helpful. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for a simpler explanation to present to their professor.
shahalam
I just recently registered with this website and it is incredible! I can't believe how great it is. I stumbled upon here looking for help with a physics question my professor posed to us.

If a car is coating down a hill and locks its front brakes, it will travel in a reasonably straight line. If it locked its back brakes, it would behave erratically. Why?

I really can't think of a reason why this would be. Any help finding the answer would be much appreciated! thanks1 :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey man I remember the notes I had on that so they might help a little...

Here is a link:

http://www.mech.uwa.edu.au/DANotes/brakes/vehicles/vehicles.html

Hope that helps a bit

thanks a lot big man. is there any other simpler explanation which i could present to my physics professor?

FAQ: Why Does a Car Behave Erratically When Its Back Brakes Are Locked?

1. How do I know if my car needs brake repair?

There are a few signs that may indicate your car needs brake repair. These include squealing or grinding noises when you apply the brakes, a vibrating or pulsating sensation when braking, the brake pedal feeling spongy or sinking to the floor, or the car pulling to one side when braking. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is important to have your brakes inspected as soon as possible.

2. Can I drive my car if the brakes are making noise?

Noise coming from your brakes is an indication that something may be wrong. While it is not always an emergency, it is best to have your brakes checked by a professional to determine the cause of the noise. In some cases, it may be safe to drive for a short distance to get your car to a repair shop, but it is best to avoid driving until the issue is resolved.

3. How often should I have my brakes checked?

It is recommended to have your brakes checked at least once a year or every 12,000 miles. However, if you notice any signs of brake problems, it is important to have them checked immediately. Regular maintenance and inspections can help prevent major brake issues and ensure your safety on the road.

4. How long does it take to replace car brakes?

The time it takes to replace car brakes can vary depending on the type of brake system and the severity of the issue. On average, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour for a professional mechanic to replace brake pads. More complex brake repairs, such as replacing rotors or calipers, may take longer.

5. How much does it cost to repair car brakes?

The cost of repairing car brakes can vary depending on the make and model of your car, the type of brake system, and the extent of the damage. On average, a basic brake pad replacement can cost anywhere from $150 to $300. More extensive repairs, such as replacing rotors or calipers, can cost upwards of $500. It is important to have your brakes inspected and get a quote from a professional mechanic for an accurate cost estimate.

Back