How Do I Solve This Multivariable Algebraic Equation?

• Thread starter dlacombe13
  • Start date
In summary: It's just that in the second case, your solution will be in terms of ##y##. ##x## is just some other algebraic expression in the variable ##y##. You can use the quadratic formula to solve for ##y## if you want. But you just solved for ##x## in terms of ##y##, so you're done. You found the "zeros" of the quadratic in ##x##. You've done what you were asked to do.In summary, this conversation is about solving a quadratic equation with two variables, using various methods such as factoring and the quadratic formula. The equation is 5v12 - 3vo2
dlacombe13
Okay, so this equation is coming from a physics problem, which I essentially already solved (the physics part). The only thing I am stuck on is the algebra (I think) portion of it, so the details of the problem itself do not matter. I know the answer already as well, I just can't get to it myself. The equation is:
5v12 - 3vo2-2v1vo=0
For simplicity you can use:
5x2-3y2-2xy=0
I am solving for v1 which should equal (-3vo)/5
If someone could just point me in some direction, that would be great. I have no idea where to start, since I have very little experience with solving for multi-variables without 2 equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
dlacombe13 said:
5x2-3y2-2xy=0
This is a quadratic equation for two variables. Look for the two numbers whose sum is equal to the coefficient of the xy term and whose product is equal to the product of coefficients of the square terms.

Likes dlacombe13
dlacombe13 said:
Okay, so this equation is coming from a physics problem, which I essentially already solved (the physics part). The only thing I am stuck on is the algebra (I think) portion of it, so the details of the problem itself do not matter. I know the answer already as well, I just can't get to it myself. The equation is:
5v12 - 3vo2-2v1vo=0
5x2-3y2-2xy=0
If someone could just point me in some direction, that would be great. I have no idea where to start, since I have very little experience with solving for multi-variables without 2 equations.
Item #1: Please use the template which is provided for you when starting a new thread.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

One technique for attacking your problem:

Divide both sides of the equation by v02, or equivalently by y2 .

You then have a quadratic equation in (v1/v0) or (x/y) .

If it's still not clear, replace either of those with some other variable, such as "u".

Likes dlacombe13
dlacombe13 said:
5v12 - 3vo2-2v1vo=0
5x2-3y2-2xy=0

You have a single quadratic equation for the single variable ##v_1##, because your ##v_0## is just some input parameter, not a variable (at least, not in the way you described it). So, just use the familiar quadratic solution formula, and simplify it down as much as possible. You ought to find a second root besides the one ##v_1 = -3v_0/5## that you have given.

Likes dlacombe13
Thank you all for your help. I searched for a while and finally found a method to factoring these types of equations. It has been so long since I've had to solve an equation like this, but it all makes sense now. I used a method called the box method to find the factors which ended up being (5x+3y)(x-y), which gave me the answers x=y, and x=(-3y)/5. I also tried dividing all terms by y2 which gave me the equation in terms of x/y. I then subbed in 'u' for x/y which gave me:
5u2 - 2u -3 = 0, which I also factored and then re-subbed x/y for 'u' to get the same results.

One final question to further my learning: How exactly would I use the quadratic formula to solve this? I tried plugging in the 'u' equation and got -3/5, but how would I sub back in (x/y) to get it in terms of y?

Thank you all for your help. I searched for a while and finally found a method to factoring these types of equations. It has been so long since I've had to solve an equation like this, but it all makes sense now. I used a method called the box method to find the factors which ended up being (5x+3y)(x-y), which gave me the answers x=y, and x=(-3y)/5. I also tried dividing all terms by y2 which gave me the equation in terms of x/y. I then subbed in 'u' for x/y which gave me:
5u2 - 2u -3 = 0, which I also factored and then re-subbed x/y for 'u' to get the same results.

One final question to further my learning: How exactly would I use the quadratic formula to solve this? I tried plugging in the 'u' equation and got -3/5, but how would I sub back in (x/y) to get it in terms of y?

dlacombe13 said:

Let's compare two equations:

##x^2 + 2bx - 1 = 0##

And

##x^2 + 2yx - 1 = 0##

So, what precisely is the difference? The first is a quadratic in ##x## with an arbitrary parameter ##b##. The second is an equation in two "variables" ##x## and ##y##.

But, algebraically, you can solve both equations by the same method. Just complete the square (or apply the quadratic formula) to get:

##x = -b \pm \sqrt{b^2 + 1}##

And

##x = -y \pm \sqrt{y^2 + 1}##

So, what's the difference? Both are quadratics in ##x##. Isn't it just different notation to use ##b## or ##y##?

Likes dlacombe13
Oh okay. So if I am following correctly:
##5x^2 - 2xy - 3y^2##

In terms of y:
##a = 5##
##b = -2y##
##c = -3y^2##

##x = \frac{2y\pm \sqrt{4y^2 - 4(5)(-3y^2)}}{10}##
##\Rightarrow x = \frac{2y\pm \sqrt{64y^2}}{10}##
##\Rightarrow x = \frac{2y \pm 8y}{10}##
##\Rightarrow x = [y, \frac{-3y}{5}##]

dlacombe13 said:
Oh okay. So if I am following correctly:
##5x^2 - 2xy - 3y^2##

In terms of y:
##a = 5##
##b = -2y##
##c = -3y^2##

##x = \frac{2y\pm \sqrt{4y^2 - 4(5)(-3y^2)}}{10}##
##\Rightarrow x = \frac{2y\pm \sqrt{64y^2}}{10}##
##\Rightarrow x = \frac{2y \pm 8y}{10}##
##\Rightarrow x = y##
##\Rightarrow x = \frac{-3y}{5}##

Yes, algebra works with any letters!

Likes dlacombe13
Thank you very much for your help! I know that it works for any letters, I just wasn't sure if it was legal to include ##y## as part of the coefficients.

1. What is the best approach to solving a complicated equation?

The best approach to solving a complicated equation is to break it down into smaller, simpler steps. Start by identifying the main components of the equation and then use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable you are solving for. It may also be helpful to use a graphing calculator or software to visualize the equation and its solutions.

2. How can I check if my solution to a complicated equation is correct?

To check if your solution to a complicated equation is correct, plug your solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator or software to graph the equation and see if your solution lies on the graph.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a complicated equation?

If you get stuck on a complicated equation, take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. Sometimes, stepping away from the problem can help you see it in a new light. You can also consult with a teacher or tutor for guidance and clarification.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should solve the components of a complicated equation?

Yes, there is a specific order in which you should solve the components of a complicated equation. Start by simplifying any expressions in parentheses or brackets, then work on combining like terms, and finally solve for the variable using algebraic techniques.

5. Are there any shortcuts to solving complicated equations?

Yes, there are some shortcuts that can help with solving complicated equations. These include using the distributive property, factoring, and using the quadratic formula for quadratic equations. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and techniques of solving equations before relying on shortcuts.