Why Does Resistance Increase with Temperature in Conductors?

In summary, the resistance in metals is caused by the free motion of electrons being disrupted by the thermal motion of metal ions. At lower temperatures, this motion is reduced, resulting in less disturbance to the electrons' movement. However, at very low temperatures, the relationship between resistance and temperature becomes more complex. The equation for resistance (Rho = L/A) includes the term "resistivity" (Rho), which is a measure of how resistant the material is to the motion of electrons, and is the most affected by temperature. The other terms, L and A, represent the distance and space available for the electrons to move.
kevinf
currently we have been studying mechanic physics and the teacher though that it would be fun to do a fun electricity related lab. the lab was to investigate the voltage across a copper resistor and a superconductor when the temperature is brought down with liquid nitrogen. my question is why does resistence increase as temperature increase. everywhere i have searched just tells me this fact but doesn't really explain why.

Physics news on Phys.org
In simple terms the resistance in metals is due to the free surface electrons being bounced around by the thermal motion of the metal ions. At lower temperatures this motion is reduced so there is less to disturb the free motion of the electrons.

When you get to very low temperatures it gets more complicated.

i also have another question. resistance equals roe(l/a). isn't roe the most affected by temperature? but i am not sure why

Rho is resistivity - which is just a measure of the resistance to motion of electrons in the material for exactly the reasons I just wrote.

L / A is just a term to include how far they have to go (L) and how much space there is for them to move (A)

What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of tiny particles called electrons through a conductive material. It is a form of energy that powers many of the devices we use in our daily lives.

How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated in various ways, including through the use of fossil fuels, nuclear power, and renewable energy sources such as wind and solar. These methods involve converting one type of energy (such as chemical or mechanical) into electrical energy.

What are the different types of electricity?

There are two main types of electricity: direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). DC flows in one direction and is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices. AC alternates between flowing in two directions and is used in most homes and buildings.

How can I save electricity?

There are many ways to save electricity, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and adjusting the thermostat to conserve energy. It is also helpful to unplug chargers and appliances when they are not being used.

What are the dangers of electricity?

Electricity can be dangerous if not handled properly. It can cause electric shocks, fires, and even death. It is important to follow safety precautions when working with electricity, such as wearing protective gear and turning off the power before making any repairs or adjustments.